Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Popping forearm, Do I need...? >

Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Old 07-20-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Popping forearm, Do I need...?

For a while I was doing good at not popping my forearm on a shot. I havent changed draw weights and I can hold my weight fine. But recently I popped my arm (not bad but it hit it) twice in a row and now its making me think too much on my shot.

My draw length is 29" which feels perfect with my release. Your supposed to have the bow arm relaxed I know and not fully straight.

Well my question is should I shorten my draw length an inch to force my arm to curve enough to not get slapped or just keep it like it is and learn how to curve my arm properly?

I have never measured my actually draw length but I played with different settings till I got one that puts my thumb on the back of my jaw bone with my bow arm extended all the way out. Im 6'4" and would figure I would need longer then 29" but with the release it feels fine.

Thanks for the newbie help.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Your problem is common with quite a few archers. I would't change your draw length, I would go to the pro shop and have one of the people watch me shoot a few arrows and make a call. Chances are it's just your form from what you told us.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried to adjust my arm too but it takes to much concentration away from the shot, its just some thing else to think about and causes problems, You'll actually torque the bow doing this. I finally shortened my draw length and now I dont even have to think about it, Try a half an inch and see if that helps.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be turning your forearm in. While holding your bow in a shooting position bend you arm untill your bow is setting flat on your chest. Then take it back out to a shooting position again. Your forearm will need to be like that each time and you will not hit it.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

After the last two years of welts on my arm and being worried with every shot on a deer that I was going to hit my clothing on a shot, (which is really bad and almost always results in a very low shot) Two days ago I shorten my drawlenght about an inch (3/4"). Haven't hit my arm or even been close since. I really wanted to keep that power stroke but not at the price of a miss or wounding game. My Patriot is really dialed in and ready for season. I only lost 5 or 6 fps.

Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a recommendation, if you don't already have a wrist guard.... BUY ONE!!!! They save a lot of pain and help you realize when you are off without the sting. I like what lou-lou said as well. You very well might be pushing your arm in. When you say that trying to fix it takes away from your shot... well then you need to know that it should be a part of your form in the first place. I've only hit my arm about 5 or 6 times in the 6 years that I have owned a bow. And every single time, it was due to bad form. Do go to a Pro-shop and have them check it all out. Good luck!!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:19 AM

It only takes once or twice for bad form to set in...............it takes a ton of thought & discipline to correct.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might be letting your wrist bend. Draw your bow and look at the outside of the hand holding the bow. Does it form a perfect line with your arm, or is there a bend in it?
Old 07-21-2004, 04:11 AM

I used to have the same problem. Put your little finger between your palm and the grip onyour bow. That will change the possision of your arm without changing your anchor point Remember to keep a loose grip on the bow. Try it, it worked for me.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:04 AM

I'd shorten your draw length by 1/2" to 1" and practice shooting your bow with your bow arm slightly bent. I believe your dl is too long and you're stretching to get it all the way back and this is why you're slapping your arm. By shortening your dl you won't stretch, you'll likely be able to bend the bow arm slightly and be able to completely avoid this from happening but this is just my $0.02, Hope it helps

Quick Reply: Popping forearm, Do I need...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.