Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pendulum sights. Anyone use them? >

Pendulum sights. Anyone use them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pendulum sights. Anyone use them?

Old 07-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Pendulum sights. Anyone use them?

Getting ready to buy a new bow and set it up for this falls season. Have not decided on the bow yet I am going to shoot some in a few weeks. For a rest I am going with the Bisquit. I was thinking about a pendulum sight since I do 95% of my hunting from a tree. Seems like a simple setup sight it in a 20 on the ground and your good to go out to 35 from the tree. Any experience and reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at the tru glo model.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pendulum sights. Anyone use them?

Go with the Trophy Ridge Mantis, I started using it this year and love it, It's accurate, QUIET, and easy to lock down. I sighted mine in at 20 yards and I'm dead nuts on at 30 yards from a tree stand.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:50 AM

I'm using the toxonics pendulum for the second year. I did just what you said set if for 20 on the ground and climbed up the tree. Mine is good for 28 yards out.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got the savage one. Sight it in at 20 on the ground and fine tune it 15' up. I just shoot off the roof. From 5 to 35yds it's on.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

i have a keller pendulum and i love it i sighted mine in at 20 yards and dead on from the tree and holds out to 38 yards and the new model keller is quiet.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Sharkey-

Pendulums are a great tool for the treestand hunter. One thing to keep in mind, though, if you do choose to get a pendulum. The actual distance it is good out to is dependant on alot of factors, such as arrow weight and speed. Just because the package says "good out to 30 yards", doesn't mean it will be good out to 30 yards from your bow.

When I first shot the Savage pendulum on my set-up with a rather heavy arrow, I only got 28 yards from my pin. However, once I switched to a lighter arrow, I got 33 yards.
You'll need to test your equipment to see the maximum yardage should you choose to use a pendulum.

Good luck,

Slice
Old 07-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Thanks for all the input. I guess I will be buying one and will have to play around with my setup to see what she will do.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:04 PM

I wouldnt touch one of those with a ten foot pole. too many moving parts. too many things that could go wrong. they're only for lazy asses who dont want to bend at the waist with proper form, which would totally eliminated the need for a pendulum. there i said..i think they're junk...stick with a fixed pin sight sharkey...alot better...

slayer
Old 07-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

slayer I believe the pendulm is designed to compensate for the arrow impacting high when in elevated position.

Say you use your 30 yd pin (sighted on the ground) on a deer thats 30yds out and your 15-20 feet up, your arrow will impact high on the deer. The pendulum swings out and up giving you the adjustment to not impact high. Just in case you didnt know.
I dont see how form or bending will change the impact of the arrow from being high, but hey if im wrong enlighten me.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:37 PM

Deerslayer_37:

I have used several types of pendulum sights over the years. I have to say that you are wrong on most counts. Especially the "lazy ass" part. A pendulum is not a replacement for good form and "bending at the waist," a pendulum is primarily an auto range finder. I have no idea on what you base those accusations.

With a good pendulum that is able to be adjusted to the specs of the bow and differing heights, and hunting terrain that does not negate the auto range finding aspect, a pendulum sight is not a "rocking chair" piece of gear. They can be very accurate and are an excellent sight for those that just cannot estimate any yardage.

Quick Reply: Pendulum sights. Anyone use them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.