Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow string

Old 07-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default bow string

Hey guys, I want to replace the string and cable on my bow and need some input as to the best manufacturer and material to use. I want a string that is guaranteed not to strech after a short "break in" period and made from a material that is not brittle and may break with out notice, and preferably does not make a heavy string to reduce speed.

I will not be purchasing a Winners Choice due to the price and the number of manufacturers that use the same processes and achieve the same results at lower costs.

I have heard good things about Berry, but he isn't taking orders until late August so that is out. Stone Mountian, Vapor Trail (only uses 8125), Pro strings, and Wolfden.

It seems that most manufacturers use TS1, Ultra cam, 450 and 8125. I know nothing about how these materials are manufactured and how they perform compared to each other so any infor regarding materials os much appreciated.

So basically give me the run down please.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:24 PM

Default RE: bow string

im using a Zebra ZS twist bowstring on my mathews. broke in after a hundred or two hundred shots and it works great. i dont plan on switching from that anytime soon.

slayer
Old 07-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Bulls;
I am a Stone Mountain Bowstring User and I am sponsored by them, I will recomend their strings not because I am sponsored by them but because I truely have been impressed from day one by their products.
I shoot the Stone Mountain Dakota Pre Streched Strings, they are made from Dyneema, streched under 800lbs , and served under 200lbs.... what is really nice is the serving is coated with a dry to the touch adhesive to stop any serving seperation and it works great... I have had no serving seperation in over a years use on the string I am shooting now. I have experienced 1/8th of an inch string strech in this same time period which was a drastic improvement from the last competitors string I used that streched over an inch and a half in a years time. I currently use these stings for ASA 3D Competition and for bowhunting and experience good speed with Stone Mountain Dakota Strings .... they are actually a bit faster than the competitors string I used before. They will custom make the strings and harness to your specs and your choice of colors. You can choose the strand # in your strings. They are pretty darn popular with the ASA 3D Comp Shooters and bowhunters. Now I wont kid you they arent cheap...... I believe they run about $90.00 for a string and harness but I may be wrong on the price cause I havent checked into their prices lately.... sorry. But to me the price I paid for my 1st string from them was money very well spent to not have to resight over and over with other strings that seemed to never stop streching, a peep that wouldnt stay put in its rotation and not have to worry about reserving a string cause the serving seperated in more than one place , and their string seem to really stand up well to lots of use and time.
If you like you can check them out at www.stonemountainbowstrings.com
Old 07-18-2004, 07:19 AM

bigbulls i make my own strings i would go with 452x by bcy 35% vectron 65% dyneema vectron for no strech dyneema for speed best of both worlds. ultra cam is about 55% vectron and 45%dyneema a little heavier but will not strech might be pron to breaking but have not broke one yet as for as pure dyneema or ts1 they will strech even if there prestrech thats the nature of dyneema. bcy puts just enough vectron in to make it not strech and not be brittle real good speed because of the dyneema .try some it made me happy. i just bought a pro 40 with ts1 or dyneema and it was stech 1 1/4 inches and thats with a new bow with prestrech and all string if you want to get a string that stays get some with vectron in it.bcy 452x is your baby
Old 07-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls from the sound of it selway knows his info on bowstrings. There are two people in Idaho Falls that I know very well who make and sell bowstrings equal to a Winners Choice. But at about half the cost. Dave who runs Daves archery shop make them, and the other guy's name is Steve Brown, who builds them at his home. Steve is on the web but I am not sure of his web address I will find out tomorrow for you. I have bought strings from Dave and can say they are as good as a Winners Choice. My old martin fury eats strings for lunch, I swiched to Winners Choice in 2001 and my bow string could almost last a year. I only used Winners Choice until I tried daves strings 2 years ago. I have not used Steves strings but I have heard excellent results, and I know he sells and ships them all over North America. Hope this helps.
selway do you sell your bowstrings?
Old 07-18-2004, 08:47 PM

idahoelkinstrutor no i don't. i started making strings 2 years ago thanks to the help of members on this board.i had problems with serving seperations on my patriot which were winners choice strings that came with the bow.also got another patriot last year stone mountain strings on that same problem.got a pro 40 this year ts1 string on this bow same problem.also looked at many bowtech bows on the rack at the store i bought my from same problem with seperation at the cam.bowtech bows when the string streches leads to over rotation of the cam and puts the string in contact with the axle which causes the seperation you see on so many of the bowtech also increasing the valley puts the string on the axle.just before the string touches the axle there is the end of the cam with a sharp little rise which is were the string will seperate so make sure your not on the rise and string will last as long as they can.these problems happen because the string streches and people don't think they will as the sring streches they slowly loose there valley and move the stop longer putting them on the axle trying to get there valley back.anyway i have not had any problems with my strings on any of my bowtechs since i no whats going on now dyneema strings will strech period.when i made my strings with dyneema 100 inch string total lenght i would - 1 inch or 1/2 for 50 inches under total lenght of finished string. after twisting and streching the string the string would be right on factory specs .most people say to and a half inch for twist thats wrong with dyneema if you do this with dyneema you will be 1 1/2 inches long after streching. this is before you even shoot the bow.with vectron in the string you have to and to your string or you will be short. so all in all 452x is my choice because of what happens with dyneema 452x gives you speed and stays the same lenght when set on the bow.september 18 panhandle elk beware.selway
Old 07-19-2004, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolfden and prostring make good products. Wolfdens are more exspensive but seem a hair better. I have had very good performance from the prostrings I have tried. As for materials I like the new TS1 it seems to give me everything I want in a string. It's stable, quiet, fast and resists "fuzzing".
Old 07-19-2004, 06:55 AM

I prefer Ultracam strings, because they have the least stretch to them, in my experience. I've made about 50 of these strings and haven't seen one break yet. Many have 10s of thousands of shots on them. The real key to getting a good string is to find the best stringmaker. The brand of string material, will be a secondary consideration. A good stringmaker will keep creep to a minimum and can prevent serving separation with proper string making. My own recomendation is to pay no attention to which is claimed to be fastest. Speed can be obtained with many string making techniques, like smaller diameter servings or fewer strands in the string. In the end, we're only talking about a few fps, and sometimes this is gained by paying a price in durability, noise level and ability to resist creep. In my opinion, the most important task of a stringmaker should be to get the most stable product possible.