Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps >

Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps

Old 07-05-2004, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps

This seems like a dumb question, but I have a good number of tree steps screwed into pine trees that I can't get out. The sap has essentially glued these steps into the tree. Any tips that might help me get them out would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:47 AM

Default RE: Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps

Best tip I can give is not to leave them in so long!!!!!
Sounds like you need some leverage....Good luck
Old 07-05-2004, 07:35 AM

get one of those tree step wrenches they work real good.if you can,t get a good hold of the step because the tree has grown around the step trim around the step with a hatch so the wrench can get a good grip on the step.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

We often have problems removing screw-in steps. Try using a hammer that has a solid steel handle, such as an Erwin. If they have been in for so many years that the tree has grown around the step. you will probably do more damage to the tree trying to take them out and would be better to just leave them.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

the steps have been in the tree for 8 months, so hardly too long. Pine trees tend to drip sap that sticks like glue. I looked in the cabelas mag and saw the Ameristep remover. I wasn't sure how well it works but I might need to give it a try, though at $30 incl shipping, I would rather not buy one. I can buy two boxes of steps for that price. lol
Old 07-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about using a length of pipe that fit's over the step . . . for leverage.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

cut back the bark a little around the steps so it is easier to turn. then use a 2 pound sledge to knock them looose
Old 07-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Next time use strap on steps and you won't have to worry about this nor will you damage the tree. But for now just get a big hammer.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

A hammer should do the trick. You can buy one of the Ameristep wrenches or just weld a couple pieces of angle iron together leaving one side open and maybe a notch cut at one end. Then just slide the open side over the step and the notch down over the step part itself. IF you make it a foot or so long it should give you the needed leverage. You could even run a bolt through a piece of pipe at 90 degrees on one end to use as a handle. With washers the pipe should rotate around your bolt.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I removed some years back, and took a long limb and wacked it, and was able to hit and unscrew the two I could reach from the ground. Maybe bring a 2x4 for leverage, or a pair of vice-grips with a pipe. There not that expensive so maybe leave them. Guess the tree didn't produce the fruits you thought it would yield.

Quick Reply: Need tip on removing stubborn tree steps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.