Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?! >

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Old 07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

During the 1996 Olympics, They did a feature on Justin Hewish, The popular archery shooter. Well, much to my dismay, they showed him shooting from the street at his parents home, Through the garage (which had a pass thru to the backyard) and to a target far in the backyard!
90 meters I think!
They lived in an upscale housing development, from what I could tell.
I was shocked that they would show this on national television.
Nobody said a word. Guess it depends on who is doing the shooting.
Anyone else see this?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:46 PM

Depending on the city you really have to watch this!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Yes, it's a free country, but when shooting a bow in your backyard could be hazardous to your neighbors, you've got NO RIGHT to shoot a bow in it. I grew up in the country where you could run around naked in your yard with no concerns about anyone seeing you. Now, I live in a neighborhood where most houses back to other houses and nobody has a right to shoot a bow here. My neighbor does it occasionally and even though I'm a hunter and I fully support the sport of hunting, I'll be the first one to call the cops on him the next time I see it. Why you ask? Because I don't want my wife, my daughter, or my dog to be the first ACCIDENT to happen as a result of it.
On the other hand, if my neighbor's house backed to woods, that would be fine. I wouldn't have an issue with it. But who's to say that there wouldn't be a stray arrow due to a bee sting, a muscle twinge, or a faulty release?
There are appropriate places to shoot a bow and there are places that aren't. Do like the rest of us and shoot your bow at the local sportsman's club if you don't like it! [:@]
Old 07-13-2004, 07:24 PM

that is one reason i dont live in town
Old 07-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: rcd567

Although I do need a burn permit which cost a dollar, and I get three deer permits for a dollar (Land owner). Life is good.
In my town, Bond fires are allowed for festival ocasions. I always have a beer in hand when putting a match to the burn pile. I'm always celebrating the Norse God of Fire. What was his name?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:19 AM

i shoot my bow in my backyard almost everyday and the cops havent found me yet but my neighbors hunt too so the probably dont care and i live in central arkansas
Old 07-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

It is also Illegal to shoot a bow or paint ball gun in my neighborhood.

However, it is ok to have a pool in the backyard.

And last time I checked, more people died in POOL related ACCIDENTS, than people who died in ACCIDENTAL gun shootings, so I would guess that the number of ACCIDENTAL bow deaths are even much lower.

I'd bet that more people are injured with their lawnmowers than are injured by arrows.

So, if safety is the major concern, let's ban everything and stay indoors....whoops...can't do that, most accidents with injuries happen in your bathroom...and I believe that most heartattacks happen in bed.

Kidding aside, if someone has a "proper" backstop and/or fenced-in enclosure and practices safety (not shooting while kids or other people were around) - notifying neighbors when shooting, etc., then I think we should all be able to find some common ground and allow this.

But those days ARE over in most of the U.S.A.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:15 PM

Illegal in my town as well, but I checked with my nieghbors the first year I moved into town (actually the town I grew up in as a kid). Anyways, I checked with my three neighbors and they were all cool with the idea once I told them I will only shoot when no one is outside, etc. In fact, the one guy behind my house even asked me to assist his young son with shooting his own bow to earn his cub scout/boy scout badge. I was more than happy to assist.

Here's what I do:
Each summer I begin my training by shooting maybe 10 arrows a day from 10-20 yards. As the season nears, I shoot only 1-2 arrows per day in order to make certain each arrow COUNTS!! Key is that I shoot from my second flood bedroom window as this provides a realistic view and scenario as that is about the height of my stand. Downward trajectory guarantees there will be no richochets should I miss. It's been working out great for years for both safety in my yard and for my hunting success.

Key is just to be careful and as safe as possible. I won't generally shoot when my neighbors are home regardless if they are outside or inside.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just went through the huge website on my county's ordinances. There's stuff all about not discharging FIREARMS, but nothing mentioning shooting a compound bow in your backyard. The only time it mentions a compound bow, recurve bow, or crossbow, is that it is illegal to shoot one within school property (unless you are taking a school class on archery).

Stupid question of the day: Do some people really think a compound bow is considered a firearm?

Butch A.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I was told it was a firearm in hunters ed but I'll worry about that after I get a ticket.

Quick Reply: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.