Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE? >

Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?

Old 07-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Atlasman, you tried to counter my statement but only validated it.
It is very obvious that either you didn't even read what I wrote..........or you did and just didn't get what I was saying.

You said yourself that you love venison and fill your freezer with it year after year.
I do.

You meat hunters openly state that you love what you are doing and brag about how many does you got last year. Then you go and bash guys like me that don't want to shoot them.
When did I "bash" you??

I just gave you my take on what some of the QDM guys have said that you took as "bashing". I don't think they were "bashing" you...........I do think that they would like you to help out and not just cherry pick the benefits of others (their) hard work.

Maybe that isn't even their point.............it's just how I interpreted the so called "bashing" they gave you. Maybe one of the QDM guys will clarify.

If you are putting yourself out by shooting does why do you state how much you love doing it and eating it.
I am not putting myself out at all and I do love doint it and eating it. READ SLOWLY my friend. I said maybe some of the QDM guys don't feel like shooting another doe on a particular day either............but they do it because it NEEDS to be done in order to maintain the trophy bucks you enjoy hunting so much. They are helping you by shooting that doe.........how are you helping them??

I don't bash you for being a game hog, which is what they used to call guys like you.
Game hog??........You've got to be joking. It is mildly amusing that you have a post filled with comments like "Meat hunters like you" and "guys like you" and "game hog" etc..........what's even funnier is that it comes from a post you totally misread. Says a lot.

It just happens that the deer herd has grown into something that actually needs guys like you.
There's another one

And like I said before, I am thankful now that there are guys like you around who enjoy shooting does. Why do you call something that you obviously enjoy dirty work?
Geeeesh.......Go back and read it again. For some of the hardcore QDM guys out there that want big mature bucks just like you do shooting does may not be the most exciting thing in the world for them to do. The difference is that they do it because they know it HAS to be done. You don't and just sit back and let other people do it for you.

Kinda like having a dozen guys all own a cabin who love to hunt and spend the deer season kicking around logs at the fire and bragging about what hangs from the tree out front. Now everyone knows that all year you have to go up and cut the grass and pile firewood and patch the roof or fix the sink or trim some lanes or hang another stand.........etc. All that stuff may not be what you WANT to do that day but it NEEDS to be done in order for ALL of you to enjoy the place year after year right??

Now is it fair for 11 guys to do all that work and 1 guys just show up opening day with his stand on his back ready to hunt?? I bet that would make for some interesting fireside chats

I said before that I would gladly shoot does when it becomes ethical and legal to let them rot in the woods.
Pretty sad and sick thing to say.

Once again..........You claimed being "bashed".......I said I didn't think you were being "bashed". I then told you why I thought the hardcore QDM guys get a little worked up at "trophy" hunters who won't shoot a doe. I may have completely misinterpreted their comments but that's how I see it so far.

I don't practice QDM. I hunt adult deer.........period. If it has antlers on it's head I will hang the most recent on my wall and then replace them every couple years. I have one shoulder mount in the same spot. If it doesn't have antlers on it's head then that is fine too. I butcher all my own deer and get great satisfaction from knowing the meat my family eats went from field to freezer to dinner plate all by my hands only. I have plenty of money to buy whatever kind of meat is available.............just haven't needed to in a long time.

I don't think I would call myself a "meat hunter" because I like big bucks as much as the next guy out there. When I sit in my stand and day dream I picture some huge bruiser lumbering down the hillside headed right towards me. I am just not obsessed with them and get plenty of enjoyment from taking a doe or a smaller buck. I shot a "trophy" last year and yea it was really fun..........but not to the point that I could justify making it my only goal in the woods.

So, I am not a "meat" hunter.........or a "trophy" hunter.

Man,...........I guess I am just a DEER hunter. []
Old 07-12-2004, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Yes, silentassassin, you can make deer taste good, but at what cost and time expense? If you spend the time and money (spices, oils, marinades etc.) you can make deer taste good (mask the flavor).
There is no time factor nor expense factor involved. The only time factor is whatever it time it take to skin the animal and then drive it to the processor and the only expense factor is paying to have the meat process ($45). I don't have to mask the flavor. I have never eaten a piece of deer meat that was gamey. I think that goes back to skinning the animal immediately and getting it on ice or into a cooler. The only other thing that I do is add a little salt, a little pepper, a little garlic powder, a little flower, and then I either deep fry at 325 or pan fry. I hear people talking all the time about deer meat being gamey etc. the only thing I can really say to that is that it must not be taken care of nor prepared properly. My wife is a buck O 5 and hardly eats meat and had never eaten deer meat until we started dating and she even loves it. Livbucks, you wouldn't be on of the first 50 or so that I made a believer out of Like I said if you like beef and you don't like deer then your deer has not been processed nor cooked right.

Finally.........something I agree with Silent on 100% []

Salt, pepper, garlic powder for the grill..........crushed garlic in the butter or oil for the pan. Sometimes a little Montreal seasoning or Lawry's for a change of pace. Takes 20 seconds for me to "prepare" my venison for taste.

Those are just the quick eats too........I prefer the sauces, chili, thin sliced sandwiches in mushroom gravy out of the crock, chops in cabernet........etc. The list is endless.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

I've got some recipes that will make the best filet mignon you've ever eaten taste like sh!t.

I, like silentassasin, have never had a piece of gamey tasting deer meat. I think you must be doing something wrong.
Amen...........gamey meat=poor job by the hunter or butcher or both after the deer was killed.

And BTW, if you don't eat deer meat, why shoot a deer?

I'm not the type that thinks you must eat every animal you kill, but if you are a deer hunter that never eats the meat, something doesn't sit right with me.
You and me both.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the "gamey" thing has something to do with letting the blood drain. I know the worst tasting deer I have eaten have been shot during warm weather periods and then butchered very quickly. You can just see in the ground meat the blood/juice that drips out.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 AM

I just think that they are pointing out the selfish act of someone wanting to shoot only big mature bucks for themselves...........but they don't want to do the dirty work necessary to keep those big bucks around for years to come. Managing a deer herd properly requires a lot of effort and when the guys that are out there year after year doing that dirty work see someone that just wants to reap the benefits of everyone elses dedication and not help out themselves

Neither one of us is right or wrong and that isn't what I am trying to say.........just figured I would ask in a more "calm" thread so it wasn't taken the wrong way
So............which one is it..........My paranoia revisited

You are not a QDM hunter, so don't play the QDM full house here, when you don't even hold a pair.

You shot any legal deer that walks in front of you - you have said it many times.............Knowing that - what you wrote is comical.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

And BTW, if you don't eat deer meat, why shoot a deer?

I'm not the type that thinks you must eat every animal you kill, but if you are a deer hunter that never eats the meat, something doesn't sit right with me.
You and me both.
This statement is hypocritical. You can't state that it's OK to shoot an animal that you don't intend to eat and then say it's wrong to not eat what you shoot. That's basically how I read this statement. Also, I think the "bashing" that is percieved in your posts comes from your attitude that non-doe hunters are selfish and unwilling to share the oh so cumbersome burden of shooting does. I hardy think doe hunters feel inconvenienced by the "obligation" to shoot doe(s). They do it because they enjoy the hunt and the meat. I don't enjoy the meat, so why should I shoot a doe when it brings me little satisfaction? I feel that I'm far enough in the minority that my taking a mature buck every few seasons without taking a doe has no detectable effect on the herd. There are far more brown-it's-down hunters than there are trophy hunters. Until the average hunter profile becomes more balanced, I will continue not to worry of the balance in my buck:doe kill ratio.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

So............which one is it..........My paranoia revisited
You must be paranoid Rack

What is the big deal here?? I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I simply responded to someone who is said they got "bashed" and couldn't understand why. I explained why I thought a hardcore QDM guy would not be thrilled with a guy who just wants benefits of hard work but isn't willing to any himself.

I am not a hardcore QDM guy...........but I am also not blind to why they would have issues with a trophy hunter who won't shoot a doe. I am also not blind as to why they would have issues with a guy like me who shoots bucks they would let walk.

Why is it so hard for you to accept anything other then praise Rack?? You bounce around with your "No matter how you hunt is OK with me as long as it's legal" image.........but then you immediately go into attack mode when someone says anything less then flattering that involves your style.

We both do things that hardcore QDM guys would have issues with..............you may not agree with that but it doesn't make in untrue.

You are not a QDM hunter, so don't play the QDM full house here, when you don't even hold a pair.
Never said I was...............my cards are out on the table...........you appear to be the one bluffing

Do you REALLY not see how a hardcore QDM guy would have an issue with a trophy hunter who just wants to come in and shoot the big boys that they have worked long and hard to make sure are there............and not help out the cause??

Did you read my dozen guys with a cabin analogy?? Same thing.

I can see how they would get pissed at me for dragging a 6 pt back to the truck...........why is it so hard for you to see what you do doesn't fit either??

You shot any legal deer that walks in front of you - you have said it many times.............Knowing that - what you wrote is comical.
What is funny about it??

Hardcore QDM guys wouldn't like me any more then they would like you. I am fully aware of this and have no problems with it............I would probably feel the same way if I practiced hardcore QDM. I wouldn't want somebody shooting small bucks anymore then I would want someone not shooting does.

What's comical is your failure to either see this or your inability to accept it.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the "gamey" thing has something to do with letting the blood drain. I know the worst tasting deer I have eaten have been shot during warm weather periods and then butchered very quickly. You can just see in the ground meat the blood/juice that drips out.
ryo,

When I butcher the deer myself and even sometimes when I take the deer to be butchered, I will quarter the meat and then put it in a coller full of ice and water. This gets the meat down to temp as quick as possible and it allows the blood to saok out of the meat. When I butcher myself I leave it set like that for a day or two and again I have never had a pice of "gamey" meat with this method.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

THANK YOU!!!!
So you think there was bashing too, BagginBigguns?
I don't have anything against meat hunters.
Why is it that when you refer to them as meat hunters they get so outraged? Everyone hunts for their own reasons. Hunting for meat is one of the most valid. I think that it is funny how what's in vogue one decade is politically incorrect the next. I'll tell you what, atlasman, I'll shoot the next doe that comes by, and I'll choke it down and force my wife and kids to eat it too. Then I'll be accepted into the high and mighty crowd.
I do eat the deer I shoot. I make tons of jerky out of them. My kids and I love deer jerky. You really can't eat whole meals of jerky though.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: BagginBigguns

This statement is hypocritical. You can't state that it's OK to shoot an animal that you don't intend to eat and then say it's wrong to not eat what you shoot. That's basically how I read this statement.
Nothing hypocritcal about it.

There are reasons animals are killed and not eaten...........nuisance, damage, disease, safety, and some are just plain not edible.

We are not talking about killing some yotes that are out of control and killing everything in town at night............nor are we talking about shooting some woodchucks so the farmers cattle won't break their legs in the holes.

We are talking about killing a perfectly edible free roaming deer under normal circumstances. In that case why kill it if you are not gonna eat it? Pretty simple.

Even deer have been killed in piles during pop. crisis or CWD scares etc.........those are all special situations that don't apply here.

Also, I think the "bashing" that is percieved in your posts comes from your attitude that non-doe hunters are selfish and unwilling to share the oh so cumbersome burden of shooting does. I hardy think doe hunters feel inconvenienced by the "obligation" to shoot doe(s). They do it because they enjoy the hunt and the meat. I don't enjoy the meat, so why should I shoot a doe when it brings me little satisfaction?

For the last time that is only my opinion/interpretation of the so called "bashing". Someone posted that they couldn't understand why someone would "bash" a non doe shooter. I gave my theory on why they would. I understand why they would and I also understand why some people would not agree with what I do. Never said one group was right or one was wrong..............just that I can see how disagreements come about.

You guys really need to start READING what someone types BEFORE spouting off.

If you are gonna respond with such vigor..........you really should make sure you know what is being said.........and by whom.

Quick Reply: Is there ANYONE on here that will absolutely NOT shoot a DOE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.