Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Areas that have been logged. >

Areas that have been logged.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Areas that have been logged.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Areas that have been logged.

I used to have a nice honey hole deep in the woods but its been logged off for two years or so. I don't know where it is anymore. The area is completely different today. I do notice runs alongside the logging areas in the remaining forest. In the logged area it is very open still. Once the season opens do you think the deer will try to stick to the sides of the cut area for more protection? Area cut is a couple hundred acres. Any thoughts or experiences? This is my second area that has been raveged by the loggers. They really screw it up. Its like learning all over again. I realize logging has its good points. Puzzled.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Areas that have been logged.

My experience is with the big woods of upper Wisconsin. The land that surrounded ours was clear cut and wow was the hunting better. it took 2 years of growth before it got better, but it is interesting. I think they travel through more and cover more ground . You have to scout to see where they are going. I imagine the edges would not be a bad place to start.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Hoofers ,
second year logged areas are among the best deer magnets I've ever heard of . The lush new growth in the cleared areas attracts them from all over . Now that it's the second year go back to where you used to hunt , I think you'll find that it has improved .
Old 06-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

My best hunting spot ever is a cutover and 2 years til now after being cut it has improved hugely from before. I love hunting cutovers especially after the new growth starts.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

after they grow back in a couple of years, it will be a hot bed
Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reassurance. My other spot has been logged for 5-7 years now and still is screwed up. They sure make one heck of a mess with those machines. I think a good burn would help that problem a bit. Too bad they don't burn out here.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

I can relate! I lost a beautiful honey hole last year to the loggers. It took years to finally figure out where the big boys were consistently hanging out. After the logging I took a walk though and it looked like a bomb went off! I couldn’t recognize anything and to this day can’t locate the exact spot I used to hang my stand.[:@]
Old 06-22-2004, 05:28 PM

Welll, as my dad and three of his brothers own a logging/lumber company, i've seen first hand what logging does to an area. We own a couple large tracts of land, one of which is 750 acres. Most of this is logged off, and there are some large clearcuts. And the deer LOVE it. More places to hide. They get in the thickest, nastiest cover they can find. Alot of browse, good protection, its perfect. You have to get right in the thick of things. Find a tree big enough that is overlooking trail intersections. Usually, the deer, especially SLOB bucks, won't skirt around the clearcut. They go right in the middle. Why leave? Plenty of food and cover. Dont burn it, it would destroy PERFECT whitetail habitat. And for people who bitch about it like Mantis, you obviously havent studied the effects of logging on the deer herd well enough to give your opinion on it. So shut up.

slayer
Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Deerslayer, I think you need to re-read the original post and then my post and relate to exactly what I was “bitching” about!

I know all about the benefits of logging and I’m not against it. So before you start spouting off with ridiculous comments about me, take your time and re-read!
Old 06-22-2004, 06:47 PM

I lost a beautiful honey hole last year to the loggers.
that was what got me fired up, yes, im sorry, i overreacted. im sick of all these people spouting off about how loggers ruined their hunting spot when really they dramatically improved it. Hoofers, the mess is a good thing. the deer bed in those downed tree tops. again, i apologzie mantis for overreacting.

slayer

Quick Reply: Areas that have been logged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.