Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rubs and tree sizes?? >

rubs and tree sizes??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rubs and tree sizes??

Old 06-21-2004, 09:54 AM

Default rubs and tree sizes??

Ii think the bigger the rub the bigger the buck because there are around 10 huge rubs within 15 yds of my stand and a couple of the trees he rubs are 10" in diameter and very slashed and gouged I think it is a very nice buck but some think it still could be a smaller buck doing the rubbing any thoughts???
Old 06-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: rubs and tree sizes??

From what I have read.....

A big buck will often rub on smaller trees, however, a small buck will rarely/never butt heads with a big tree.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

some people say that small deer will rub on big trees. i think this is false to an extent. i think that big deer will rub on the big trees and then when the rub becomes inactive by the big buck, a smaller buck may then start to rub on it.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:12 AM

I like to use how far up the tree the deer rubs as an indicator to size. Bigger deer can obviously reach higher up a tree than a smaller deer.

My biggest to date (10pt 180lbs) was in full rut when he and I connected. He had just finnished working over a bush that had no branches that were more than 1" in diameter.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep these thoughts in mind when i am scouting new property. I look for big rubs! Are smaller ones that have been twisted and torn. for the most part bigger buck`s will rub bigger tree`s thats no new news, And often rub on smaller tree`s but just these sign`s alone does not tell the whole story I try to look for bigger and heaver tracks than the other deer in the area. And often try to find the best food source and maby check around and do my best to find what kind of hunting pressure that area has? this may not be the best way to finding or locating bigger deer. It`s just one of the ways that seems to help me. And i am always open for better idia`s
Old 06-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I woud have to agree with the rest of the guys, also I look for bushes that are all beat up and rubbed. I have seen bushes shreded and that is a great sign.