Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Rubs

Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tree Rubs

Hey all I was out scouting today and found an area loaded!! with tree rubs I mean these tree's were shreaded as well as ground scrapes to boot!! my only thoughtis what tree to put my stand but I did find a good pine since all the other tree's are bare.But my question is this:are there any positive results to putting any sort of attractant on a tree rub?? and if so which brand is best to use or should I simply just leave them alone and sit on them?
Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tree Rubs

I feel its too late to hunt rubs, bucks make them in the early fall and then they usually dont touch them. Right now in most northern places the rut is kicking into gear and you got to be hunting where the does are, depends on your location though!

Good luck and see if you can find any scrapes or regularly used doe trails to hunt over!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the reply, how ever these were made this week with a couple other trees just starting to be rubbed and there are deffinatly does in the area. do you think its still worth it or no
Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you follow the rub and scrape line it might lead you to his core or bedding area , if it does the I would look for a good tall tree that would hide your figure well and put my stand in it.
If it doesn't then try to find where the does sre bedding and set - up there .
Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Dont mess with the rubs just hunt close and may be it will happen and good luck i hope hes a big un...
Old 11-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info I can't wait to hit it Thurs
Old 11-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

I feel its too late to hunt rubs, bucks make them in the early fall and then they usually dont touch them.

i'd agree the rut is on, but the part about the rubs, welll...tell that to the deer around my area! i hunt south of albany ny and i just saw 4 new rubs from my stand this morning... where i hunt i will certainly see close to a hundred more NEW rubs before the season is out, does it differ that much from area to area? what part of NY do you hunt MD?

99% of these rubs will be made during the night, so i don't put much faith in hunting over them. however, at least you KNOW theres a buck runnin around!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: moose1915

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

I feel its too late to hunt rubs, bucks make them in the early fall and then they usually dont touch them.

i'd agree the rut is on, but the part about the rubs, welll...tell that to the deer around my area! i hunt south of albany ny and i just saw 4 new rubs from my stand this morning... where i hunt i will certainly see close to a hundred more NEW rubs before the season is out, does it differ that much from area to area? what part of NY do you hunt MD?

99% of these rubs will be made during the night, so i don't put much faith in hunting over them. however, at least you KNOW theres a buck runnin around!
I hunt in Madison County, Cazenovia to be exact. Where i hunt there is an open stand of hardwoods that borders scrub apples, a swail field and a big swamp, lotsa sign in the corner of the swail where the scrub/field/hardwoods meet any little anywhere else. Sign being rubs, prolly 30 in a 50 sq yd area. Since beginning of october, nothing new. We have only been seeing bucks about 100yds north of this rub area, right where the scrubs/swamp and hardwoods meet, saw a buck 10 out of 13 times hunting that stand.

I've never had good luck hunting scrapes or rubs, but now that i think of it, ive only ever seen 2 'mature' bucks in the woods while hunting since i was 13, one was last saturday morning, sucker saw me draw [:-]

Best of luck to everyone and play the wind!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Now I am confused!!!! I have heard both side some say don't bother others say yes hunt them, but these rubs were not there last week and a few of the tree's have jsut a few scrapes on them and I am thinking they will be hit agin so if it's a waist of time to hunt rubs when and where are you supposed to see the Bucks??? I hunted an area 2 weeks ago with 2 fresh ground scrapes and shot a 6pt at 7am! and with in the next couple hours 7 does came through, So was that luck or something I thought that you were supposed to hunt rubs more so than scrapes right untill Peak Rut then hunt the does? unless there are close togather not to mention I have a killer hunting DVD library and also watch the shows every sunday and durring the week nights when I can and a lot of them show that they are all sitting on rub lines
Old 11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that hunting scrapes can be a good idea but durring the rut i think that the best place to hunt is close to a bedding area. The dominate buck will normally cruze around the bedding area trying to keep hot does from leaving and will only leave if he has to to look for another doe. Last week i was running the camera for with my hunting patner, we got out a little before 3 and had a mature 9 come right at us before he even had his bow up in the tree. The got 25 yards and went back in the bedding area. 10 minutes later he came right back out pushing some does and my buddy shot him at 15 yards. My advice is to get as close to the bedding area as possible without spooking deer.

Quick Reply: Tree Rubs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.