Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting nocturnal bucks >

hunting nocturnal bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting nocturnal bucks

Old 06-21-2004, 09:48 AM

Default hunting nocturnal bucks

I have a problem on hunting this specific buck that i have been after for about 3 years now and i only see him during the day when it is not hunting season then the time hunting season rolls around he goes nocturnal so what could i do to increase my chances of seeing him during the day. also i do know a little area he does hang out but never seen him during the day. so got any suggestions?????
Old 06-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hunting nocturnal bucks

Put yourself between his bedroom and the next nearest patch of cover that the does will use , or one of his escape routes . If you're real lucky he will make that last mistake during legal shooting hours .
Old 06-21-2004, 10:08 AM

Kevin is correct. Try to back track ths deer to his bedding grounds and set up near there. Also if you can figure out where he is bedding be there on opening day/week of the season. You'll have a better chance of catching him before he goes nocturnal.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:16 AM

Get a spotlight, sit in the back of your truck on an ice chest, then blast him!. JUST KIDDING. I would also suggest getting between his feeding and bedding areas and stayin put, maybe he'll come by late, but its going to be LATE. Make sure you practice in really low light conditions, and have your pins be as bright as they can be. Id try to stay away from a lighted sight though.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

full moon
Old 06-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get there WELL before light in the morning and sit by where he goes back to bed ... and sit well into dark , until u absolutley can not see anymore ... get a lighted pin if necessary , i dont no how many buck ive spooked getting down right at dark , and in the rut , with a full moon , u can make it happen...

Or when there is snow on the ground in winter , if noone gets him hunt extended season in his area , and u can see al ngiht , check your laws , and stay as long as you can!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Nocturnal Bucks sucks. Most big bucks around here go nocturnal once there antlers start to get big. I've seen a huge eight with kickers everywhere. Course he's still in velvet and haven't seen him in a month. A damn Ford, Chevy, or Dodge with probably get him.[:@]

The only thing I've found that works is hunting the Rut! They seem to move all day long. I even take vacation around the first and second week of November.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Durring the rut, setting up between his bedding area and finding the closest pack of does maby your best bet to seeing this old boy
Old 06-22-2004, 03:07 PM

I just use the night vision and a minors hat

LOL [8D]
Old 06-25-2004, 08:25 PM

I got me a nocturnal, but i have to say they are not always nocturnal. Usually if u have deer that u see alot then once hunting rolls around. he stays bedded down for long periods of time. if u have a very thickly wooded area that is hard to get to and find a place to shoot in, thats where that buck is. set up a stand with one shooting lane, and a bait pile by it. your chances will go way up. U will probly get him when he does actually get up. Plus if u find bedding areas, that is an extra help.

I agree with Hunter9022, u can always get him with a spotlight.........lol.......just playin

Quick Reply: hunting nocturnal bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.