Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This stinks!

Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 AM

Default This stinks!

Unfortunately for me last night I found out that they are ready to start building on our lease. The real estate market in nj is simply killing hunting ground. I really dont know what to do anymore anybody in nj with similiar problems...anyone have a clue for an answer? Anybody know of any openings in clubs in nj? It really stinks I was all set for the season and now I have to take stands out! This has got to stop
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: This stinks!

Do what I did when the spots I used to hunt got "crowded" ,
seek permission elsewhere and reconsider public properties . It doesn't have to be 10,000 acres to hold deer , one of the publics I hunt is only about 40-50 acres and nobody but me hunts it because nobody else knows that it's there . I found it using a topo map , all state owned properties are listed on them regardless of size . My favorite holds deer , turkeys , and squirrels and covers 400 wooded acres . I've only seen another hunter there once .

Public properties get a bad reputation for being crowded that they may not even deserve , try looking on topo maps/sites until you find some of the smaller ones , then do some spare time scouting . You may be surprised by what others are turning their noses up at . These days there's really no such thing as "having it all to yourself" even when you own the land , but small publics come close .
Old 06-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Public properties get a bad reputation for being crowded that they may not even deserve ,
I agree with you there Kevin. Here in NY there are some areas that I bowhunt and never see a hunter all season (in my area anyway).
Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 AM

The venting made me feel slightly better, but it doesnt change my new predicament

Kev, in new jersey it is probably alot harder to find these smaller public lands than Indiana. I understand what you are saying though..but its almost impossible to just walk up to someone who has a few acres without them cursing you off their property never mind ask permission to hunt it. I've tried public ground and a lot of it and I can I honestly say there was always a crowd. If I could find a situation like you stated I would be elated to save thousands of dollars and still get quality hunts in. I think I might move to indiana
Old 06-17-2004, 10:44 AM

Where are you hunting in NY BOB, upstate is wide open..Nj is a far cry away from the open space of upstate ny.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Hey Boss,

I've never seen you before. Welcome.

How big was your lease? If there is some decent acerage there you may still be o.k. Do you personally know the owner of the property? If so and they are putting in a subdivision see if you can get an exclusive of what remaining woodlands exist. Let's face it , the deer have to go somewhere. If they leave 5 acers of forrest you may find the deer condensed into a smaller aera makeing the (possiably) easier to hunt.

I know the feeling of urban sprall destroying a hunting aera. I have a 3 acre parcel that has the best funnel I've ever hunted. Over the past 7 or 8 years 6 single homes and one subdivision popped up all around my lot. I've found this just changed the deers travel routes but the are still in my honey hole. But, then there are dogs. I had an issue with a neighbor last year to the point I had to call the animal control officer before the people would leash their damn dog. It's pretty discoraging but hang in there. Talk to the owners and see if there is still a way to get in there. This is the beauty of bow hunting is most people will never know your there.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM

Adams.. You make a good point..Chances are they are gonna have to leave something.
The parcel was 100 acres and I think they are putting 10 homes on 8 acre lots. Hopefully the layout and proposed streets and stuff will leave a fovaroble chunk of hardwoods to slip in..Access will be another issue! Its just so depressing
Old 06-17-2004, 11:14 AM

If you have a lease now I'd talk to the current owner asap. It sounds like it will be an upscale development. Most people think the deer are cute until they start destroying their shrubs.
What have you got to loose? Get your foot in the door early and secure what you can. Get permission and go hunt!

Better yet. If you get permission and and don't have to lease you've saved your self some money. If the current owners are retaining some land that won't be developed offer to lease that portion of land. This way the owner can have his cake and eat it too.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:42 AM

you make some good points and I'm gonna follow your advice, hopefully I can get some opportunity out of it cause anything is better than nothing at tjis point

thanks
Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where are you hunting in NY BOB, upstate is wide open..Nj is a far cry away from the open space of upstate ny.
NE Alleghany County. You may want to get an non-resident NY or PA license. Just a thought.