Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questionable Result? >

Questionable Result?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questionable Result?

Old 06-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Default RE: Questionable Result?

Congrats on you first bow kill! I'm glad you found the arrow and the hare.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. My first hunting trip with a compound and sights, as a matter of fact. I could see the rabbit under a bush with my bare eyes, but draw the bow and put the pin on it and the rabbit would disappear.

Like you, I shot where I 'knew' the rabbit was. Like you, I never saw the rabbit leave after the shot. Only difference was that I did have my arrow, covered with blood and fur, sticking in the ground right where the rabbit had been sitting. I knew I'd hit meat. I never found that critter and it still bugs me to this day.

I made a foolish mistake by taking a shot where I couldn't verify my aiming point. But I learned several lessons from the experience.

#1, don't shoot at something you can't see clearly enough to 'pick a spot'.

#2, it's better to pass up a shot than feel miserable about losing a wounded animal.

#3, sights suck![8D]

Actually, I had taken countless rabbits under identical situations for quite a number of years with recurves before I'd ever bought that compound. Sights are great on the target range but, to me, they're a hindrance and obstacle on a hunting bow.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:00 PM

Congrats Red on your first kill with your bow. I do not know why everbody wants to get up on their pulpit and start preaching about hunting is not about killing something. Most people who hunt know the meaning of the word and why we are out there, but killing what you were after is always nice
Old 06-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hotyhunter,

You will be happy on this, i have an Hoyt in matter of fact
Old 06-20-2004, 08:07 PM

Cool I do not meet many people who shoot Hoyt bows. All of my friends shoot Mathews and I take alot of crap from them but when I kicj their A$$ shooting it makes it all the more better. Again congrats on the kill