Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys) >

MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Old 06-06-2004, 07:29 AM

Default RE: MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Here' s what I do. I learned it a couple of years ago on another forum. It works great. Wash your hunting clothes in sent free soap or detergent. After it finishes, reset your washer to the rinse cycle an pour a generous amount of baking soda.
I use a small box of the cheap soda that wal-mart sells. Bout 25 cents a box.
Run the rinse cycle. As it rinses, the baking soda granules embed into the fabric.
After the rinse cycle is over, HANG the clothes to dry. ( do not use a dryer) This way the soda stays in the frabric. Then put them away til time to use. It works really well. I see more deer and they come in close. I wash everything, gloves, face mask, socks, everything. Then I store them in one of those plastic storage boxes. With the soda in the fabric, you can wear the same clothes a couple of times. Just take them off after the hunt and put then back in the storage box.

For cover scent, Racoon pee works well for me.

good luck
mike
Old 06-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

1. Clothes are washed and dried in baking soda the night before and set next to the bed. Sometimes they get an earth scent dryer sheet just to keep them soft.
2. I shower with Hunters Specialties green liquid soap and brush teeth with regular toothpaste
3. Before I set out (at the car right before I walk in) I spray myself and the equipment down with a homemade scent killer I found on a board last year. It works great (based on personal experience and testimonials from others who have tried it) and it's dirt cheap compared to brand name scent killers.
4. Put out a drag line just for the heck of it.
5. Set out at least two some scent pads at a right angle to the wind from my stand.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:15 AM

I start the season off like most of you but for one reason or another I get lazy after a couple of weekends and don't stay as strict but I always wear my scent blocker suit with the headgear,play the wind, shower, and spray down when entering the woods
Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I noticed last year.
I also use the earth scent dryer sheets (that smell just puts me in the mood!)
Having switched to washing my clothes in the baking soda, the dryer sheets and clothes still come out of the dryer scent free.
Those earth sheets from hunter specialties are pretty strong! But the baking soda is stronger!
So as an experiment (actually I was just in a hurry) I didn't wash my clothes after hunting one time and instead just threw them in the dryer with the earth scent sheet. Still came out with no scent! Threw the clothes in a bag with an earth scent wafer and the next morning - still no scent!
Save some money, instead of buying new scent lok clothes, spend the $0.25 on a box of baking soda!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:15 PM

I also do the full routine as most of you do, my wife thinks I'm nuts and some of my bowhunting friends think I'm taking it to far, but I feel better about doing it and that's all that matters to me.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Now after all this how many of you put a dip in during the hunt?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

No dip for me!

But I will have a smoke when I think its safe.

I worry about scent control for my long walk into the woods and for setting up not for my time in the tree.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:04 PM

none for me...i QUIT
Old 06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

No dip or smokes for me so I don't have to worry about that scent. But what I will do is find the freshest pile of deer poo on the way in and put a big pinch of that in my lip. The warmth of my mouth keeps it fresh and my breath blows it in all direction and really puts the deer at ease. And as a bonus the taste really keeps you awake and alert on stand!
Old 06-07-2004, 06:21 PM

nice

Quick Reply: MORNING ROUTINE (for the hardcore scent guys)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.