Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks?? >

Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks??

Old 05-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks??

I have been using game cameras for the last 2 years and have started to notice
that once I get a big buck on my game camera I never seem to ever get another
picture of him at the same location. The only exception to this I have noticed is
if I am baiting and then the buck has more of a reason to re-visit the site. I really
like setting my cameras on the trails leading to my stand but I can't help thinking
that I might be doing more harm than good even if I stay as scent free as possible
while checking the cameras. Has anyone else noticed this same pattern?
Old 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks??

Good question, I often wonder the same thing. I have been told both ways, some say it wont bother them, and some say that if it is a mature deer, they will not come back. I have one of my cameras set up over a salt block set up, and it is right at one of my stands, so I wonder about it all the time. It will be interesting to hear some other opinions on this.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have multiple pics of a buck from last year. Even if it does scare them I don't think you're going to run him out of your property. He might just alter his route but still be in the same general area.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about setting it up so it doesn't shoot at night, or shut the flash off? Why do you care where the deer are at nighttime anyways. If your strictly using it for scouting then you should just take daytime pics anyways.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:12 AM

thenuge15,

I've wondered the same thing myself. Other than knowing that the buck is there it doesn't do alot of good knowing where he his at 3 in the morning. Once you find out he is there start takin only day pictures around your hunting area to find out where he is during the day. Atleast this has been my theory I have yet to be able to put it into practice.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:41 AM

titleist_03- That is what worries me. If I use the camera as a scouting tool and watch the
trails leading up to my stands and if the camera makes the buck use another trail all I really have done is hurt myself. Pictures of mature bucks are nice but I would rather have him hanging on my wall.

Anyone else have any info on this subject?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Dominant Buck

It scares the heck out of them ..... if you're in the picture with them.

two thirds of Lens triple last October.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only been taking "cam pics" for one season - but have 20+ seasons under my belt. My opinion always has been, and is bolstered by the cam pics form last year - is that fromn Sept-Nov. Sooooooooooo Many male deer are re-locating, that its normal to have only one sighting of some deer in this period. In fact most bucks (especially young bucks) that you observed during the summer will "disappear" by fall.

I do think the camera flash scares the deer - but not any more than a bolt of lightning, or a tree limb falling. However smart deer seem to be, they just aren't able to theorize the origin of the flash.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have mixed feelings on this issue also. In some cases I only get a few pictures of some of the nice bucks in my area but only on one occasion...then never again. However, I do not have the camera out in the same location all of the time so who is to say that they do not come back periodically. I just put it out yesterday so I will let you know more as the season gets closer.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Do Game Cameras Scare Big Bucks??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.