Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting practice question >

Shooting practice question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting practice question

Old 05-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: RE:Shooting Practice question

c903,
Your picture did not show up, just the red "X", so I'm not sure if there is some cutting edged sarcasm there or you had some serious intellectual wisdom to add to a conversational post. From some of your other posts, that I have read in the past, I have to imagine that it is the former and not the latter. If you have some agenda other than an open discussion or exchange of ideas, I would respectfully ask you to not hijack my post and start trouble, because you may or may not like one of the posting memebers.

I have never attempted to shoot a bow "weak" handed. Len in Maryland not only does it, he does it with 1" groups at 20 yards. I have seen it with my own eyes. He does it with or w/o his quiver on his bow, i.e. fully rigged. I use an no-peep on my bow and am not sure if it is even possible to acheive this w/o doing it "instinctively".

Speaking of instinctive,... how is it coming w/ the recurve? This is the type of shooting I want to learn to do soon. Just don't have the available cash to purchase another bow right now. Even so I might have to go w/ the "non-traditional" recurve made by PSE...I think it's called the Coyote. Has an aluminum deflexed riser w/ takedown limbs and mounting holes for stab, sight, etc. I think I would mount all the "training wheels" and then take them off, one accessory at a time as I learned how to shoot the thing!
Best of luck and good shooting!
Mark
Old 05-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pretty much only shoot standing shots. 99% of my hunting is done from a tree, so I don't get creative wit hmy shot positions.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I now get very creative, last year I had a shot standing on one foot and leaning against a tree. it's kind of hard to shoot a bow in the prone position, I don't practice that one much.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:11 AM

I have been practicing every day at 18 - 20 yards, sitting, kneeling, standing.

My huntin buddy and I go to our outdoor range twice a week and (because there are few people who use the range regular) we try shots through various discovered lanes at the next target. It helps with ranging targets and demonstrates what we are ready for.

After our 28 target practice round we shoot 50, 45, and 40 yards from different positions until we are either tired or thirsty (beer). We try to exclusively shoot the longer distances after every round as this greatly improves our lesser distance shots and grouping.

I have gone out alone and have shot 2 to 3 hundred shots at the longer distances and have found that a twenty yard target becomes a much easier target to shoot at and from the various angles and positions I am capable of creating.

The longer shots help me to quicken (as in set in muscle memory) my sight picture, draw and hold/anchor, release and follow through. Any bad habits that I have are readily discovered and I am capable of correcting them.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

it's kind of hard to shoot a bow in the prone position,
Might be fun to try from the edge of a really big tree stand or a cliff
Old 05-31-2004, 04:14 PM

mlaubner:

Maybe you should not wear your feelings on your shirt-sleeve and shut off your firewall so that the image would open. Don't fire at moving brush.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I practice all kinds of positions.Try standing on 1 foot at 30 yards and you will see how important a secure and solid,balanced base is.

I like to sit on my but facing the target at 30 yards.I also like turning my body so that I am shooting almost completely backwards.I feel confident that I could take a deer with these shots out to 30 yards.

Sitting is actually my favorite position to shoot deer because there is a whole lot less movement required and I can shoot as well sitting as standing.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

TFOX,
I have been shooting more from the seated position. I agree with you on it being a solid "stance" as there really are fewer moving "parts"!
I just started shooting from 20yds but am working towards the 30yd mark.
I want to try still/ground hunting this year for the first time and realize that seated shooting is going to be norm. Before this season it has always been tree stand hunting.
Do you regularly get 30yd shots from the ground? or is this just practice so the 20yd'rs seem really close?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Len actually raises a great point...
Does any one other than Len practice shooting with your "weak" hand?
I often do this with handguns as you never know when a situation may call for this type of shooting. But other than a neat exibition of skills I never really attempted this feat with a bow.
Have any of you?
Sure, I practice with my weak hand alot. Just in case while I'm out hunting I fall and get hurt and can't pull my bow back with my strong arm. I'll need to fire three shots into the air to let people know where I am.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

mlaubner

I havn't been fortunate enough to take an animal with a bow on a ground stalk.I feel that a 30 yard shot might be a neccesity in a stalk because getting extremely close is even more difficult from the ground.

Quick Reply: Shooting practice question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.