Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite types of trees for stands >

Favorite types of trees for stands

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite types of trees for stands

Old 04-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Favorite types of trees for stands

What type of tree do you normally find yourself observing the world below you from? I try and target oaks when Im hunting hardwoods, only because at some point and time deer will be scrounging for tasty acorn morsels. Plus the branches dont grow low on the trunks. I also sometimes try and get a lock-on up in pine trees but find getting good shooting lanes difficult. Whats your favorite type of trees to climb up in, I know this will vary some depending on where in the country you hunt.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Favorite types of trees for stands

a tree to actually place your stand in or a type of tree that produces a crop? I found myself in more oaks than anything. I do hunt some thick stuff where a pine is about all the option I have. I do like my one spot because it offers honeysuckle, persimmon and the occasional acorn while supplying safe bedding cover.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

First and foremost I look for an available tree. But to narrow it down....my two favorite stands are in an oak and a white pine....I do find that I'm usually up oak, ash, or pine but again, the tree hardly matters when it's in the right spot and available.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

a tree to actually place your stand in or a type of tree that produces a crop?
Well depends, do you hunt near or around crop type trees like oaks for a reason? I know I do. Also I look for trees that are easy to get in with a climber, oaks are definately good for climbing stands.

I also use pines for thicker cover stands when the oaks are producing, but like I said you can usually only get a climber up in them and you will have some trimming to do.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like Hemlock.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I love to hunt pines. Not big dark open pine forests, but smaller patches of pines with some hardwoods mixed in. Most of my stands are in thick imature/mature pines.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Personally, I love to hunt pines. Not big dark open pine forests, but smaller patches of pines with some hardwoods mixed in. Most of my stands are in thick imature/mature pines.
I'm with Bob on this one..... But sometimes I find myself looking for a tree, any treethat has alot of travel route intersecting.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its pretty much all conifer forests here, my two favorite trees to set a fixed stand in are Doug Fir and Grand Fir because of the great back ground cover. If I have to climb, western larch or doug fir because the bases are usuallyvoid of limbs.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:55 AM

That would be uhhh.... hmmm... well my choices are Sitka spruce or Sitka spruce so I guess I'll have go with Sitka spruce.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Hemlock because it is easy to climb with many strong limbs and it offers great concealment. My stands are usually in a dark place overlooking runs in and out of a swamp where the big ones stay.

Quick Reply: Favorite types of trees for stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.