Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or Pass

Old 05-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Spike

Default Shoot or Pass

Just a little fun...

Let's say you win an elk hunt to Montana from some $10 raffle. You are on the last day of your bow hunt. You have seen many good sized elk, but none within 100 yards. There are only a few more hours to hunt when the guide calls in the biggest 7 x 7 bull you've ever seen - even in pictures. The bull comes in to 28 yards. You are well concealed and the wind is in your favor, but starting to change. The bull hangs up at 28 yards in a small clear lane, but solid brush on both sides of him. He is quartered to you at 25 degrees. If he turns to broadside, he'll be in the brush. He has hung up and is concentrating on the changing winds.

What do you do?
Old 05-19-2004, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Shoot or Pass

I sit tight and wait for a shot. A quartering tward shot is a poor percentage shot IMO. Can I stick it, probably but the marging of error is too small.
If it's meant to be the shot will develope, otherwise the bull wins the right to be hunted again next year.

I look at hunting as a game of match wits between myself and the game. If the shot isn't there, It isn't there. A lot can go wrong trying to force a shot that dosen't exist.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:26 AM

28 yds, put it thru his eye hole.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Though I agree that a quartering to shot is definitely low percentage I think this then is determined by the ability of the individual shooter. Some guys have the mental discipline and the physical skills to be able to accurately place a kill shot in this situation.

Am I one of them?

...can't say...never been there.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:37 AM

If he's quartered at me at 25 degrees as you say... he's all done with a perfect double lunger. Right behind the shoulder gives you plenty of room to spare on that rear lung.

If he angles much more that window closes fast, but 25 degrees isn't much at all.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:53 AM

If he angles much more that window closes fast, but 25 degrees isn't much at all.
Agreed. There's plenty of lung still unobstructed by the shoulder at that angle. Take a deep breath and drill him through! If the the angle increases much beyond 25, the lungs will be protected by shoulder... no shot.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hedge your shot bet a tad away to avoid that leg bone and drill him. Minimally you are going to get 1 lung and liver, ideally both lungs, both of them result in a very dead elk.

Of course this assumes I can stop the shaking long enough to make the shot

--Bob
Old 05-19-2004, 12:12 PM

I wait for a better shot, and if it does not present itself...I cry and he walks.

An elk is one tough critter...especially looking straight on. Not worth it.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

You are on the last day of your bow hunt
You didn't say morning, day or evening, which may make a difference. Last night - forget about it, I wouldn't shoot. Morning, maybe I would. I should be able to get both lungs at that slight angle which is exactly what I'd be shooting for, but lets say that I don't both, I would definetely get one and a liver, which is still deadly. Problem is, I'd have to wait a while before tracking.

But, depending on the circumstances, I still may not shoot. I guess, I'd have to be there.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've double lunged a deer that way so I would probably take the shot as long as I had time to wait and track him. Although if I didn't have time to wait and track him I wouldn't be hunting in the first place.

Quick Reply: Shoot or Pass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.