Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or Pass

Old 05-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shoot or Pass

Quite honestly, at that point I would be so pumped with adrenaline that all rationale would have vanished from my psyche and I would most certainly be pulling the trigger and letting the arrow fly.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

all rationale would have vanished from my psyche and I would most certainly be pulling the trigger
That's not good.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:52 AM

Some pretty bad decisions here. Neck shot...NO WAY. Some others...NO WAY.

Last year when we were elk hunting (Muzzle loader) my one buddy shot a bull in this near scenario, at probably a mere 75 yards. Had good blood, let him sit overnight. Got on him the next morning, after we quartered my 5x5 :-) that I got that morning. We got on that bugger and he bedded ALL night and we jumped him in some rough thick stuff and he disappeared :-( Terrible feeling. We spent an entire day and a half looking for him and never found him. After bedding all night, then getting up the next morning to get away, with a 348 grain bullet through his brisket/neck area...Doubtful and arrow would have done more damage than a big bore bullet.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Keep in mind that a quartered shot on an elk gives you about 5 feet of animal to pass through. Me? Nope, no shot there.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetails & muskies

Some pretty bad decisions here. Neck shot...NO WAY. Some others...NO WAY.

Last year when we were elk hunting (Muzzle loader) my one buddy shot a bull in this near scenario, at probably a mere 75 yards. Had good blood, let him sit overnight. Got on him the next morning, after we quartered my 5x5 :-) that I got that morning. We got on that bugger and he bedded ALL night and we jumped him in some rough thick stuff and he disappeared :-( Terrible feeling. We spent an entire day and a half looking for him and never found him. After bedding all night, then getting up the next morning to get away, with a 348 grain bullet through his brisket/neck area...Doubtful and arrow would have done more damage than a big bore bullet.
No bad decisions here. I assure you that the neck comment above was merely sarcastic. The decision to shoot for behind the shoulder is a good one. Your buddy's shot in the neck/brisket was merely a poor shot. At that angle one should be able to easily hit a double lunger and maybe liver as well. That is a fatal shot 100% of the time. A 100% fatal shot is always a good decision.

Keep in mind that a quartered shot on an elk gives you about 5 feet of animal to pass through. Me? Nope, no shot there.
That's 5 feet worth of damage to inflict, with no bone to get in the way on the exit side (such as the front shoulder in a quartering away shot).
Old 05-20-2004, 11:54 AM

Bigguns - one major consideration you need to think about. It may be a lethal/killing shot, BUT, will the animal be recovered without an exit wound? He may die, but the yotes, or wolves will have a good dinner. Remember, we are talking an elk here....an animal that has an incredible will to live, and size to do so.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 PM

You bring up a good point, and I think it is something to consider when deciding whether to shoot, but I think it's a consideration for any shot angle. I have personally arrowed numerous whitetails at a quartering-away angle. Every single time my arrow has hit the opposite shoulder, which stopped penetration... no exit wound. I recovered every one of them in very short pursuit. I certainly would never pass up the quartering-away shot opportunity for fear of hitting the opposite shoulder. Similarly, I think I would take my chances with the slight quarter-to angle. As I mentioned before, at least at that angle, there's no heavy shoulder bones to stop penetration (assuming you avoid the close-side shoulder). I think with true arrow flight, there's still a good chance of pass-through, IMHO.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:06 AM

I'm with Baggin on this one. If I hit this slightly 1/4 ing bull through the near lung, catch the back of the rear lung and let's say my broadhead stops embedded in the very last rib on the far side and doesn't punch free. He's still dead .. and I can track this guy with the blood from the entrance hole .. the tops 200 or so yards he can go.

I do agree with someone's earlier post that if you don't have the time to do the work after the shot .. your hunt is over. I personally would gladly fork over my own cash to push my ticket home back a day to get this brute processed!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I'd have to make the decision at that time. But based on what you said...my gut tells me that I would take him. Elk have a much bigger kill zone than the small whitetails I hunt, so I believe I'd have no problem making a good shot. I've taken whitetails at that angle, knowing exactly where to place my arrow for a quick kill. It's not the best angle, but it can be done.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good shot to me.

Quick Reply: Shoot or Pass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.