Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying? >

What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Why 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

I've had great luck with my PSE firestorm lite and feel this bow should not be overlooked. 30" ata, 8" brace 300 fps ibo speed and weighs 3.8lbs. Great compact forgiving bow.

Don't cheat yourself, At least give it a couple of shots.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:03 AM

I have just a few more than 3-4. But there is no harm in trying a few extra, is there?

1. Liberty
2. Patriot
3. Xtec
4. Outback
5. LX
6. Merlin's new line up
7. Pearson Dagger
Old 05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Do you shoot with a release or fingers? Probably the most forgiving bow for a fingers shooter that I have shot is the Mathews Icon. Other than that, check out the bows from Mathews and Botech.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much any of the BowTechs. Then look at the Hoyts, and the Mathews Outback. There are so many good bows these days. Shoot more than four, if you can.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am living proof of why you should shoot 3 or 4 bows before you buy one.
I shot a 2004 Hoyt X-Tec & loved it? I bought the X-Tec. About two weeks after I bought the Hoyt I shot the new Darton Typhoon. I fell in love with the Typhoon & traded my X-Tec for it on the spot. The Darton Typhoon just felt perfect in my hands. The Hoyt X-Tec never did have the same feel as the Darton Typhoon. I think I just wanted a new bow so bad & the Hoyt X-Tec was the "latest & greatest" thing from Hoyt. I think the marketing of the Hoyt X-Tec is the reason I fell for it? The Darton Typhoon was not a bow I fell for because of marketing. Infact I shot a Darton Rampage about one month before & did not like it. The Darton Typhoon just feels perfect in my hands and my scores prove it.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Darton Maverick w/ recurve limbs.. OR
Hey David, is it OK if he checks out the Darton Avalanche Extreme or my new favorite the Darton Magnum Extreme?
Old 05-19-2004, 06:53 AM

The key points in your post are hunting elk and 30-31" DL. These two factors, IMPO, dictate a bow that is at least 6" over your draw length. Anything shorter would limit your effectiveness at those longer yardages sometimes encountered when elk hunting. The longer ATA should also enable better anchor points for added accuracy.

This is also based on using a release aid. If you want to use fingers, an even longer ATA is necessary.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

teal, I also have a 31" draw and hunt elk. I was in the market this year for a new bow as my Parker limbs broke twice in the past three years, and I don't feel very confident in that bow. I looked around and ended up getting a Darton Tundra Extreme. I'm not into all kinds of specs and speed, so you'll have to check on that on your own. But you may want to check it out. I went with 70 pound limbs and a 65% let off module.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I certainly wouldn't leave the Patriot out of the mix.
SA,

True, but I was just picking my personal favorites from this year...out of the more popular manufacturers. The Patriot is also a more than worthy contender.

Len,

I agree with a mid to long axle to axle length bow because of the longer than average draw length presented but then again......

Old 05-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Yes, Frank; but, you ARE the EXCEPTION![8D][]

Quick Reply: What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.