HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/61575-what-3-4-bows-must-shoot-before-buying.html)

tealboy 05-18-2004 06:31 AM

What 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

I know there are lots of great bows and the best one is the bow that feels best for the individual. However, in an effort to narrow my search and to minimize the burden to the proshops, pls tell me which bows I must try before picking one.

I hunt florida deer, tree stand mostly, some stalk, plan to do an occassional elk hunt in the near future, have a 30-31 inch draw and only practice with my bow for a few months before the opener (so a more accurate/forgiving bow is prefered). I am not hung up on any particular brand.

Thx for your suggestions.

CBM SC 05-18-2004 06:36 AM

RE: Why 3-4 bows are "must shoot" before buying?

There are a lot of good ones this year !!

For me ......if possible......I would like to do a head to head between :

BT Liberty
Mathews Outback
Merlin Max Extreme
Hoyt Xtec

mrfritz44 05-18-2004 06:38 AM

IMO......Liberty, Patriot, XTec, Outback..........these seem to be the "big 4" this year.

Just noticed, CBM SC and I chose the same ones except for the Patriot, which I'm partial to, of course......:D

Straightarrow 05-18-2004 06:46 AM

There are no bows that meet the needs of everyone. The 3 or 4 "must shoot" bows may not be what you prefer. If you simply want to base it on popularity, then shoot Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech and Martin or PSE.

More important is to pick the best bow shop, with the very best service and buy whatever you prefer from their lineup. Great service, set-up and tuning help with do far more for your shooting then any particular brand will.

Good luck,

Double Creek 05-18-2004 07:05 AM

For forgiveness and accuracy, I would look for a longer ATA bow and with a higher brace than normal. Thats what I did I will never go back.

I shoot a Hoyt Protec, 38inches ATA and 8 1/4 brace.

I had a 2002 Protec that still remains the most accurate and forgiving bow I have ever shot.

Good luck.

Also, check out the Pro 40, Conquest 3, and other "target" models. There is a reason tournament archers choose these bows..........

PABowhntr 05-18-2004 07:10 AM

I tend to agree with the others' comments especially if we are talking about the 2004 bows most often commented on this year.

Bowtech Liberty
Mathews Outback
Hoyt Xtec
Martin SlayrX

GordonGekko 05-18-2004 07:14 AM

A little more general than that, but if you shoot some Hoyt's, Mathews, and BowTech bows you should be able to find one that suits you. Of the dozen bows I shot my three favorite were the BowTech Patriot, the Mathews Outback, and the Hoyt Razortec. I wanted a fairly short bow for hunting from a tree stand, but didn't want to go too short and sacrifice too much stability.

Gordon

davidmil 05-18-2004 07:22 AM

That would be the

Darton Maverick w/ recurve limbs.. OR

That should narrow your search.;):D

ijimmy 05-18-2004 08:50 AM

darton tundra or typhon
matrin cougar 3 with nitros cams or true arch cams
bowtech pro 40 dualy or wheely

You have alot of drawlength , id try to stay away from sub 7" braceheight bows but as davidmill has posted that mavric sure shoots sweet for a low brace bow , the other dartons might just "fit" you better .

silentassassin 05-18-2004 08:55 AM

Bowtech Liberty
Mathews Outback
Hoyt Xtec
Martin SlayrX
I certainly wouldn't leave the Patriot out of the mix.;)