Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moon phases and the rut >

Moon phases and the rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moon phases and the rut

Old 05-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Spike

Default Moon phases and the rut

anyone on here really follow the phasas of ther moon during the fall, time between the two full moon etc., i never really have but always hear guys talking about it on shows etc. I just like to get out ther first 3 weeks of november and stay as much time as possible in the tree.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moon phases and the rut

My fall time has always been limited so I just go when I can. I will be taking a week in Nov this year but I don't know yet if it will be the first or second. Too many other things control that.[:@]

To answer your question though I do not pay attention to the moon. I just go as much as I can.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:27 AM

Go to TR's Tips board, he has some good info there. It is in the general hunting category I believe.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 AM

You know (Gross) I use this deer calender i get from deer and deer hunter mag, and last year was the first time i gave it any thought , and the dam thing was pretty close if not right on about when deer where going to move and feed , and rut , and chase ect....... I have to look back and kind of laugh now but it was really usefull tool,, I know the drury brothers use the moon phase alot to pattern deer movement , but like your self being in the woods as much as possible at the right times is the best bet//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Old 05-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take a week off of work to bowhunt the rut every year. I stay in my stand all day. I use the moon to set my vacation schedule.....it usually works well and I see a lot of bucks cruising. Of course, the moon my not have a thing at all to do with it, but I think it might.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt anytime I can during the season. I generally leave hime on September 1st and don't go home till I have scores the animal (s) I am after . . . generally Elk and Deer. [BTW . . . I am retired so I can do that].

I have long believed in the effect of Moon Phases on both Deer and Elk. Photoperiod is of the utmost importance in kicking off the rutting instinct [and herding in Elk]. So during the moon phases, especially the eight days either dide of the Hunters Moon, I try to hunt earlier and later taking this into consideration.

There is just too much data available to discount this overall effect.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

From my experience I like to hunt when there is no moon. So deer cannot graze at night which makes them move during the day.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:23 PM

I consider the moon when I hunt. You don't have to spend a lot of money for a wheel style chart to determine the moon phase. This site will help you with the moon phases.

I hunt as often as possible but consider the phase for determing the rut and when I believe it is best to hunt.
Look back at your previous harvest dates and see if you can find a pattern. If you have killed most of your animals during a certain phase or just because you only hunt those set weeks.
Either way it can help you review you info and plan for the next hunt.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

Just click on Primary moon phases and select a year. Breaks it down very simply.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am like most others that have posted here in that I hunt whenever I get the chance. However, I do believe that deer move better during the day when the moon isn't full. Also, I believe that photoperiodism is one of the primary determining factors of when the rut takes place and I try to schedule my vacation accordingly.

From my experience I like to hunt when there is no moon. So deer cannot graze at night which makes them move during the day.
Actually, we use to go out spotting at night, down in Mississippi, (it was legal back then, don't know if it still is or not) and we would always see a lot more deer on nights where there was no moon or little moon compared to nights where the moon was full. I can not think of one exception to that.