Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When does a bowhunter become a ..... >

When does a bowhunter become a .....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When does a bowhunter become a .....

Old 05-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When does a bowhunter become a .....

So how many of you guys have never broken a game law?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:53 PM

I can honestly say that I've never broken a game law.

I value my guns, vehicles, and my freedom too much. If you break a law here, and you're caught in the field doing so, they can confiscate everything you have. If you make it home, and they do a search of your premises and find illegally taken game, they can confiscate your home (if it's paid for). There's too much at stake for me. So I read and re-read the game laws every years. God knows, here in Oklahoma, they change almost every year.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

So how many of you guys have never broken a game law?
As I stated earlier I have but I do my best not to now. I try to read the regs every year to see what is new and keep up on the changes. IMO many do without even knowing it. Like the guy without the plug in the gun. Been there done that. Found out in the field and put in a branch cut to size to take care of the problem.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say that I've never broken a game law.
That's honestly AMAZING. I can't imagine anyone that's hunts or fishes a great deal haveing never broken a game law on accident.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:00 PM

Being a former police officer helps. I've always been of the opinion that I can't enforce the laws if I'm out there breaking them too. And before anybody goes there, the game wardens here don't give a hoot about you being a cop. I know of two former police chiefs that were arrested for poaching.

It's not that hard SA. Just read and know the laws before going out there. I always check over my equipment before I go into the field, so I know it's right.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should add that to sin (in this case poaching or breaking the law) in ignorance is still poaching but I will not blame, or think less of people for that. Silentassassin I too have commited that same error, I loaned out one of my shotguns Winchester 12gauge model 1300. The next time I was hunting with it was duck hunting with my father, at the time he didn't have a shotgun. So I let him use my prized Browning Gold and I used the 1300. I had no idea that the plug was taken out when it was loaned. I hunted all day with the gun. Comming out after dark We met the fish and game at the boat ramp. The only reason we were not cited was the fact that I owned both shotguns and I was shocked and truly horrified when we all found out that there was no plug in the gun. I was not an archery education instrutor yet, which I am glad because if I had been, they might have said that I should have known better. I now check every time I go into the field with a shotgun to confirm the plug is there.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

question......back in fred bear's day and farther in the past, did they have game laws? Or did they have ethics? I believe a hunters ethics are every thing, does it matter if u kill a whitetail with a bow or with a gun, as long its a human kill. Know dont you all misunderstand me, i follow all the game rules as everyone else, im just trying to bring everyone back to earth and what really matters, and that is the ethics of a hunter.

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"
Old 05-04-2004, 02:42 PM

If you steal $10 from a rich man or $10 from a poor blind begger you are still a thief
So what it boils down to is a forum full of thieves arguing the ethics of poaching (stealing)

Unless of course not one of you has ever tweaked the ole EZ-Form in April.......LOL
Old 05-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rack, I let the accountant tweak the forms for me does that count?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bowhunt many states every year AND they all are very specific on cased bows, shooting time start, end & so forth. Soooo, If you bend or extend those rules your INTENT may be the same as a poacher.
I have very little use for the Pope & Young club thou many fine bowhunters have entered legal animals. I wonder how many would be removed IF the exact circumstance of the kill was known-like a few minutes AFTER or B/4 legal time or just over the fence where you had permission. May not make you a poacher in your book BUT you broke the LEGAL rules... Good Luck this season and may you NOT be tempted....

Quick Reply: When does a bowhunter become a .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.