Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Food Plot Options? >

Food Plot Options?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Plot Options?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Food Plot Options?

I Have about a 2 acre food plot twords the ouside of the land I hunt thats always been planted in corn. I would like some ideas on what type of deer mix would be the best for this land. Seasonal? Year round? This land is in Minnesota and is very rich black soil in the heart of farm land.

My Father inlaw owns the land and I'm triying to talk him into some deer mix this year.
The deer winter about 3 miles away!
Any brands that seem to work better?
Thanks for any help
Old 04-27-2004, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Food Plot Options?

I know that alfalfa is a big one in the north. Personally, I have Whitetail Institute Imperial Clover. Really amazing. I see deer in this stuff all times of day and night. We had about 6 inches of snow on the ground, and although the stuff had quit growing for the year, it looked like hogs had rooted around in there trying to get to it.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bird,

There is a forum for wildlife management on here were you will definately get some help on the subject. I myself own my own small business in regards to "Habitat enhancement" I work in timber management and wildlife habitat enhancement. If I were you I would talk to your local agricultural agency to see what protein source plants will grow best in your area for spring and summer feed and then check on what you can plant in regards to a quality carbohydrate source for the winter months. Here in my neck of the woods we grow alfalfa for the summer feeding to pack in the protein for tissue growth and antlers and winter wheat and oats for the winter feed for needed energy and fat storage.

Maybe standing corn for your area in the winter as far as a carbohydrate goes and some form of the many high protein sources out there to choose from........ in deer blends....... for your spring and summer sources of protein.

Good luck,
Shed
Old 04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have about an acre in imperial clover and have had the same luck as mobowhuntr. The deer were in it all winter. Do check the wildlife management area here out like shed33 says. I got a lot of good info from those guys. They really know their stuff and are willing to help. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM

Another vote for Imperial clover. It may seen a little pricey but it can last up to 5 years before having to be replanted. It will provide an abundance of protein for the 200+ days of antler growth. Definately worth checking out.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:23 PM

WELL LET ME GET IN ON THIS. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT THE BEST YOU CAN GET IS THE TECOMATE MONSTER MIX, WHICH IS A PERENNIAL MIXTURE. THEN FOR A ATTRACTING PLOT FOR THE FALL I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE TECOMATE MAX ATTRACT 50/50. THE DEER WILL DEFINATELY KNOW WHERE IT'S AT AND WILL COME FROM ALL AROUND TO GET AT IT.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

everyone knows what I am going to say......CLOVER (Ladino/improved white varieties)
but I will suggest something else - know what your goals are and plant accordingly - like someone stated, you will plant different things if you want high energy vs. high protein.

also, maybe a mix of stuff (say (4) .5 ac. strips) - maybe one with straight clover (the "ag" ladinos, etc); one with the "name brand" stuff; one with an annual (brassica, etc.) and something else (oats, rye, wheat, ??). Not only would this give you some great variety, but it would also be a neat test plot to see what "really" works the best (at least on your place). Seed costs wouldn't be too outrageous for .5 ac. amounts.

also, soil test first. sounds like you have good ground to work with and if it's had corn, it has probably been fairly well taken care of.

oh, and take pictures, pictures, pictures
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Count me as a vote for the Imperial Clover.