Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which Broadhead for Turkey? >

Which Broadhead for Turkey?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which Broadhead for Turkey?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which Broadhead for Turkey?

My pro shop guy says he only uses mechanicals for hunting turkeys. Never for deer, but he says the Spitfire has a lot more shock power and doesn't believe penetration is an issue with Toms. What do most of you folks use? Currently I've been using some Thunderheads I had in a drawer. I'm new to Turkey hunting but have taken a lot of deer, and I've never used mechanicals. Opinions please?

Old 04-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which Broadhead for Turkey?

I tend to believe in the same line of thinking as your pro shop. Penetration is not as crucial as pinpoint accuracy and maximum area of damage. For these reason a larger cutting diameter mechanical is ideal for turkey....again, in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Broadhead for Turkey?

Another vote for the mechanical for turkeys from me. I did get a turkey last year with a thunderhead 100 while deer hunting but I made a great hit and got lucky. The arrow passed thru without even slowing down. The bird ran instead of flying and only went about 25 yards.

I believe that the gobbler getter that I now have for this will be a much better choice. My son will be trying them out in a few weeks. He is still trying to catch his old man. Guess time will tell.