Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows falling off rest. Why? >

Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Old 04-26-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Arrows falling off rest. Why?

During the 40 years that I have hunted with a bow, other than when first learning to properly draw with fingers on my recurve, or a rare happenstance when shooting a compound, I have never had problems with my arrow falling off the rest regardless of shooting conditions. In fact, many of the shooters that I have been around and hunted with over the many years have never expressed having a continual problem with their arrow falling off the rest.

Unless it is just a misperception and not a reality, arrows falling of rests seems to be a prevalent problem with many shooters these days. Anyone not have this problem have an opinion why the problem is (seemingly) common nowadays? Is it caused by bow design, certain gear e.g., mechanical release, string loop, small diameter arrow on prong rests, etc? I use a mechanical release and string loop on my compounds and do not have the problem of my arrow falling off the rest.

Is the problem form caused, improper drawing to anchor, rough handling of the bow when setting up for the shot? What?

Curious!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrows falling off rest. Why?

I havent really been around all that long, but my best guess would be the shorter ata bows, and the harsher, jerkier draw cycles of todays bows.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:11 PM

C903 , An honest question.......

Do you have moleskin on your sight window or rest ?
Old 04-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just come out and say it---you don't think anyone needs to shoot with a whisker bisquit
Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know that it has become prevolent. However, if you are referring to the need for arrow rests that contain the arrow, I think they are being approached from a "better safe than sorry" standpoint. I have had arrows come off the rest but the only times that I can remember is when I hit something with the arrow while drawing the bow.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that there are quite a bit of factors that may attribute more to this. In my beginning years, I had a real problem with this during hunting conditions. Mostly due to adrenaline and buck fever setting in. Today, I don't have the problem and have shot fine with a normal TM style or bodoodle rest. I just like the added security of knowing its gonna be hard to get the arrow off the rest if I bump it or my arrow catches on something etc... you know what I'm talking about.

I think JoshKeller hit it pretty squarely. Harsher, more jerkey draw curves, shorter ATA probably attibute to a lot of it. Also, maybe people are drawing too much weight than they realize causing them to "yank" the bow back instead of steadily pull smoothly. Lighter, shorter arrows may have a more difficult time staying between the prongs.

Just a couple examples I can think of off the top of my head that might.

c903, I'll tell ya, if you can keep buckfever down to a level where you don't have to worry about where that arrow is at, you're a better man than I am! I still get the shakes a little when the bruisers sneak into my area. so far, none have made it out though either.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM

Just come out and say it---you don't think anyone needs to shoot with a whisker bisquit
LMAO......

No need to beat the Bush round here
Old 04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually had this problem last year. my arrows would often "pop" off the rest (TM Hunter). I think it was either my nocking point moved or my rest got out of whack or my draw was faulty or the limbs were out of kilter....... what ever was the case, i won't have to worry about it anymore. I have a new bow and after this weekend it will be rigged up with a WB!
Old 04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most guys are WAY overbowed with these hard pulling cams we've got today. They start pulling, the arms start shaking from the overload and the arrow vibrates clean off the rest.

There's your 'arrow falling off the rest' problem in a nutshell.

Of course, the guys that use the containment rests like to say they use the rest to keep the arrow from falling off the rest while the bow is on the hanger.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:12 PM

Despite your 40 years of experience, appears you're in the psychodevelopmental stage of W.B.E.. Hang in there!

Quick Reply: Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.