Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows falling off rest. Why? >

Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Old 04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Arrows falling off rest. Why?

It could be a combination or one of several things. When you say falling off the rest I assume you mean during let down but maybe not. Either way it could be several things. Nocks too tight on string, nock sets too tight against the arrows, prongs improperly set, severe string twist, release pushing off arrow on let down, being over bowed and I'm sure more.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

i just had that problem , you might have seen my post..
i shoot a release on my mathews and i thought it was the new rest i was using (trophy ridge dz) but everyone told me sounds like somthing is pinching my knock , after inspecting the knock i found that was why my arrow seemed to have a mind of its own durring the draw, so i thank everyone for there post and i hope this helps you > take care
Old 04-26-2004, 06:21 PM

Using a rest that for insurance purposes that has a containment aspect ...but does not cause severe contact problems ....is realistic as long as the containment feature is not disguising a problem.

davidmil:

No! I am talking about apparent problems that many seem to have when holding, drawing, or letting down. As I said; I don't know if the problem is a misperception derived from a few talking about the problem so often, or the problem is widespread. If it is widespread and not uncommon, and never was so common in the past, there has to be a cause or causes that have surfaced in the past several years.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course, the guys that use the containment rests like to say they use the rest to keep the arrow from falling off the rest while the bow is on the hanger.
Arthur.....that's me in a nutshell. I'm one of those guys who likes to reach for my bow without taking my eyes off the animal. (I don't want to be caught moving at the wrong time) And I'm generally like a bull in a china shop to begin with.
An arrow clanking to the ground or swinging off the shelf at game time is a real bummer.[&o]

That containment is also that little extra confidence at full draw........just knowing that it's probably going to take a squirrel attack to screw things up is a nice peice of mind. You just don't have to take your eyes off the target. With a prong rest you just can't help yourself but to look down for at least a second to make sure all is well. (If you say no then your lying)

I just want to be able to take my bow off the hook, draw and shoot without thinking about anything but "Pick a Spot".

I'm so paranoid about every concievable scenario and take so many pains to eliminate as many possible problems, that If my bow fails me at the moment of truth in any way.......it better be because of severe mechanical failure or I dropped the stupid thing out of the tree.[:-]

And no I don't shoot a Whisker Bisquit or Whisper Disc, or Wing Ding Ring or whatever........that would mean fletching contact and that I personally can't live with.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthurp,

I can see the validity of them and I could pull 70 lbs with your average size guy pulling the string in the other direction I don't know how much I can pull but I pulled 96 lbs a few years ago while setting down with my feet up off the floor and I felt like I could have pulled a good bit more[&:]
Old 04-26-2004, 07:47 PM

Maybe for target shooting you dont need a WB, but sitting in a stand and when that buck comes you want to have nothing else to worry about, if you have to swing a little you dont want a small little branch to knock your arrow off and mess up your chance with a nice buck.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:13 PM

I don't know how much I can pull but I pulled 96 lbs a few years ago while setting down with my feet up off the floor and I felt like I could have pulled a good bit more
A big buck killer and and a bada$$, heck I'm starting to like you silent
Old 04-27-2004, 05:53 AM

C903, Still waiting !!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:21 AM

I love the whisker biscuit, but have never had a problem with the arrow falling off the rest while drawing, or letting down. I agree that comes from bows being too short, or the person pulling too much weight, which it seems the majority of people do, from what I see. The advantage for me, of a containment rest, is when I'm in my treestand, with my bow across my knees, or when I'm standing with my bow at my side. I don't have to place the arrow on the rest when I see a deer, one less thing to worry about. It's never bouncing around my sight window clanking off the riser, no need to cover everything up with moleskin. I don't hang my bow on a holder, it's always in my hand with my release hooked to it. Since it doesn't effect my accuracy at hunting ranges, and doesn't mess up my fletches when they are put on properly, one less thing to worry about is reason enough.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

That containment is also that little extra confidence at full draw........just knowing that it's probably going to take a squirrel attack to screw things up is a nice peice of mind. You just don't have to take your eyes off the target. With a prong rest you just can't help yourself but to look down for at least a second to make sure all is well. (If you say no then your lying
Matt, I know what you mean about prong rests, although there are arrow containment doodads you can install for them. Personally, I don't like the idea of keeping a broadhead tipped arrow on my bow at all times. I've always lived by the adage, "Never load your weapon until you're ready to shoot."

Shooting my stickbows off the shelf with rug rests, I can load an arrow on the string by feel, draw and shoot without ever taking my eyes off the game.

Quick Reply: Arrows falling off rest. Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.