Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often to hunt the same area? >

How often to hunt the same area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often to hunt the same area?

Old 04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How often to hunt the same area?

I live about 1/2 mile from this spot & own my own buisness which has been pretty slow for the last couple years, so bow hunt a lot.

The buck I'm looking for doesnt nessesarily have to make P&Y.
A wall mounter for me doesn't need to score that well.

The biggest one I've gotten would score around 90
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 PM

EVEN IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JUST A DECENT WALL HANGER I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT YOU NEED TO DO WHAT EVERYONE HAS MENTIONED. ONLY HUNT ONE SPOT ONCE A WEEK AND WATCH YOUR SCENT AND ENTRANCE AND EXIT ROUTES AND THE WIND. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW WHEN THE BIG BRUISER MIGHT MAKE A MISTAKE AND OFFER YOU A SHOT EVEN IF YOU JUST WANT A LITTLE WALL HANGER.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

I saw a nice one last year I think would have made P&Y. I'm not that good at judging yet. I was useing a doe bleet just before rut.

It was early in the evening I put out a bleet and out of know where there stood this buck, all I could see was his rack over the grass. He was at least a ten point. He just stood there and looked around for a while and then disapeard. A while later I gave another bleet and there he was again, he must of been beded right there around 100 yds from my stand. It was starting to get dark about now, he waited till dark then moved down wind, and I never seen again him the rest of the year
Old 04-27-2004, 03:38 PM

AWESOME, YEAH HE PROBABLY WINDED YA. LIKE I SAID BEFORE THE BIG ONES DON'T MAKE VERY MANY MISTAKES. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN AND INTERCEPT THAT BIG ONE WHEN HE'S ON HIS WAY BACK TO BED OR ON HIS WAY OUT TO FEED. I GUESS THAT'S WHY WE LIKE HUNTING SO MUCH.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 PM

You have gotten a lot of good info here; don’t think I can add much more. But don’t give up and keep learning as much as possible from everyone around you, everyone you talk to and all yours and their mistakes (This forum is a good place to start). Then get out in the field and put what you have learned to practice and in the posses learn some more.

If hunting were easy I would have quit a long time ago.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:53 PM

with the bow, i see (a lot) and kill deer out of the stand all year long, with my dad doing the same. it don't matter

-Hoyt
Old 04-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Its kinda funny because I hear people saying that you can only hunt a stand once a week, and that you have to have all kinds of scent control gadgets if you want a big buck.

I guess it depends on how much hunting pressure your local deer herd receives, and how skittish they are of humans.

I know where I hunt, I do alot of hunting out of a natural ground blind next to a tecomate lablab field or built along a sendero. Alot of the time I will hunt these stands every day for weeks at a time, and I still see large numbers of bucks and does every time. If there is a big "muy grande" buck spotted on the ranch, then I will hunt the area that he was last seen in until I shoot him, or until he is spotted in a different area then I will pack up and move over there and start it all over again.

I can hunt the same deer stand, tripod, or ground blind for weeks at a time and still manage to get big bucks and all the does that I could ever need.