Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow sights

Old 04-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow sights

Frank,
I look just down the left side of the string (Left as you are at full draw)......I can just get the blurry edge of the string in my vision and can still brush my nose with the string.
By looking down the edge of your string your pins will be skewed just a bit to the left to compensate for the slight off angle.
But now with both eyes open your field of view is perfect. Just a clear pin and the animal.

I really liked it when I was using it, and I think I'm going back for a hunting bow. After a while you don't even think about it, you just see that dot/ring in your peripheral vision.
If you can get the unit close enough to your pins, you can take in the whole picture instantly.
It's a pretty quick aiming system.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:20 PM

I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING ONE OF THOSE. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO SIGHT IT IN AND GET USED TO IT? I RECKON I SHOULD GET IT WELL BEFORE SEASON STARTS SO I CAN GET USED TO IT.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:31 PM

Chase,
Well I have to say welcome back and secondly you opened a can of worms! Most people are going to tell you there favor thing or what they can afford to buy! Me I have tryed the Trophy ridge, HHA sliding, Cobra sliding, and verys fixed pin sights! The Trophy ridge is nice at first in till you see what happens if is to low and you fletching hits the fiber optic cord on the lower side of the sight. The HHA sliding sight I have on my bow so far with 2 feet of fiber optic cable or cord how ever you put it is really nice that pin really glows at low light levels. Cobra has a nice Slider for $60.00 but is not as bright as the HHA both are good slider style sights. Another thing to think about are you going to take the time to move you slider in a tree stand? Fixed pins give you a better chance to just place you pins and shoot because you now each pin is set at or if you think you need to split the different's. Mainly when you look at a sight to buy think about how easy its going to be for you to use!

Third the no peep thing is nice idea but when it comes down to shooting if you ever used a peep sight before just being able to looking throught the center of the string and fixing one eye on a pin is a lot easy on me then to try and shoot my bow like it is a hand gun! I say this because you have both eyes open and you just look at your pin with both eyes open with the no peep sight, sight! From my unerstanding the site it like a level and when you look through the sight with one eye the black dot is center in a circle showing you are at your anchor point then you look at our pin with both eyes. I maybe wrong I never used one but that's how I see it!
Old 04-25-2004, 07:50 AM

The Copper John Dead nuts with a Afterburner lite is a sweet set up. You won't go wrong there Chase. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 04-25-2004, 09:10 AM

Tough decisions. At first glance it seems like the TR series of sights have a lot of adjustments that can be made - translation there are a lot of moving parts that can be screwed up by a drop, banging into a tree or catching the sight on brush. As much as I like the concept of v-pins, and remember I am starting from scratch so I don't have to get used to them, I am not sure of the TR design. I'll probably run down to Cabela's ahd check them out - I believe that they have all of them in their Dundee store.

As for Copper John, they seem very simple and very well made. I am also looking at the Extreem series, with the round housing, for the same reason. I think the Extreme has a SLIGHT advantage because the finish is annodized, not painted on like the CJ. Like I said, decisions, decisions. I wonder how long it will be before CJ and Extreme come out with V-pins?

This is a great site and BB. Lots of great info and good traffic. I probably should have posted this on the Technical BB - vitrually the same dialoge is going on there, as welll. Again, thank you all for the information and support. This BB is a great resource because of the participants.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ChiefHeadhunter

For hunting, the v-pins are super. If you are going to be doing much target or 3D, I'd stick with horizontal. You'll become accustomed to your new arrangement either way in a short time.

-Chief
What he said. The vertical pins are awesome for hunting. I find them terrible for spots though. I just bought an LX also. I'll post some pics of my setup for you. I went with a Tru-glo 3 pin horizontal($50) for practicing before the season and then I'm planning on buying a Trophy ridge sight.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:40 PM

My LX

Old 04-25-2004, 10:41 PM

Alpine stabilizer

Old 04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this site http://www.specialtyarch.com
They have some pretty nice sights and other items.

Quick Reply: Bow sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.