Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is your Dealer QUALIFIED??? >

Is your Dealer QUALIFIED???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is your Dealer QUALIFIED???

Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 AM

Default Is your Dealer QUALIFIED???

Question: Are Dealers really 'qualified' to sell a product???

Just recently I had two cases where other Dealers lost some major business to me. I had one customer, who was a newbie, buy a new Merlin Max-3000 from me and trade in a brand new speed bow that had been bought from another Dealer. The guy only wanted to shoot indoor spots and possibly some FITA rounds. He was sold a high reflex speed bow that was 2" too long because the Dealer made more money on it and had it in stock. Shame on Dealers who look at the short-term gain rather than the long-term gain. This customer has since bought all his other needs from me.

Another newbie customer was so upset with lack of service from another Dealer that he came in and bought all his needs from me, because I was willing to set his bow up properly and spend some time showing him how to shoot. The Dealer who was abrupt with him lost over $1200 in additional sales as well as a long-term customer. BTW, this guy was sold a bow that was 3" too long for him. We since have corrected that problem as well.

If the Dealer in your area is not a professional, maybe the manufacturers should know this. It can't be a good situation for you or the manufacturer. If the manufacturer gets enough complaints, maybe something will be done.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is your Dealer QUALIFIED???

Amen Len! I wish there were more out there like you. Your customers probably don't know how good they have it Keep up the good work!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

All I can say is that is sad and unbelievable a dealer would not help fit a customer right. As you said, those dealers lost money longterm just for a quick sale and to get rid of some stock. Don't have that problem with my local shops.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

This reminds me quite a bit of that post you made awhile back about whether or not local archery shops were trully "pro shops". A distinction definitely needs to be made between these two types of enterprises. Some shops are just out there to make a living and others have a general interest and passion in the sport itself. Maybe you would care to revisit some of those good points you made in that earlier thread Len. I am sure that many of the new faces on the forums would benefit.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

WV,
I definitely KNOW how fortunate I am to have Len and his years of knowlege at an easy reach from my home.
I can usually tell the difference between a sales "job" and someone who wants me to be happy as a costomer. Len and Macrotech fall into the latter catagory.
When I visit his shop, he lays out all the facts and information on the table and lets you decide on the course. IMO, he does and excellent job at presenting ALL sides of an argument as he has vast knowlege on many subjects pertaining to archery.
I have been to other shops in my area where that idea of presenting all the facts is opening up the manufacturers catalog of the the particular bow the shop is hot on and preaching it's accolades. (sales hype). Typically when this happens, if you were to ask about another bow, you get a reply like, "...yea, that bow is good too, but this, whizbangshooptyshoop model bow is the GREATEST! and you really should consider this one".
It really irritates me when people insult my ability to appreciate the true features of a given product. Customers are not idiots. When thay ask the questions they expect straight answers supported by facts,... and some personal opinion. Not a lop-sided sales job. Sometimes it's OK to just say that you don't know. It is still honest and customeers respect that. Owners of shops may not have used everything they sell, they may not even like some of the stuff, but they are in business to make money, and that means selling what folks are buying. So as a customer, I brace myself for the truth when I ask questions. I may find out the owner does not personally like my setup but that technically it is fine. I need a pro that has the ability to see both sides and so yes, I do know how lucky I am. Thanks Len.
BTW, Len, we still have some testing to discuss. Airfoils, ASAT camo, etc. PM me
Old 04-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

mlaubner
I'm glad to hear it. One of these days I'm gonna make it up there Len

Unfortunately I think Len and folks like him, are VERY few and far between. Be thankful if you actually have a PRO at your shop, and double thankful if they are knowledgeable and open minded....not just there to sell you something.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:39 AM

It's worth it to me to drive 90 minutes each way (when traffic is good) to give Len my business. Shops in my area just don't have the technical expertise that is obvious when Len is working on a bow.

In fact I'll be making the trip again later this week to pick up my new Bowtech Justice

Len is a great resource and anyone visiting Baltimore owes it to themselves to drop by his shop.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Len I am glad you asked. I have four stores near me that sell bows & one pro shop.
The 4-stores that sell bows are the worst in the world! They have people working there that know very little about the products they are selling. They are not qualified to sell you a bow that fits you. They just try to sell you the "latest & greatest" bow on the rack. I never buy anything from them becase they have not earned my business. I would not trust them to re-sting my Nike's, Little own a bow.[:@]

Lucky for me the only pro shop near me is just that a PRO SHOP. I like the pro because he will help anyone that walks thru the door. He told me he likes to help people get started on the right foot. His prices are a little higher than the discount stores.
Example: This happened last fall right before hunting season. I was standing near the counter when a person left the store because the prices were too high? The person told me I could buy things cheaper up the street. I told him, I buy things here for service after the sale. The pro did not know what to say? I told the pro I knew his prices were higher that the big discount stores. I also told him, I only buy products at his shop because of his great service. He provides great service before, during & after the sale. What else could I say? I do buy everything there, I do my part to keep the light bill paid. This year alone I have spent close to $2,200 in his shop. Before hunting season in September, I am sure I will spend $800 to $1,000 more dollars in his shop.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my aera we have many "bow stores" and very FEW Pro Shops. This is supposed to be one of the best whitetail bowhunting areas in the US, but I'll challenge anyone to find a Shop that can set up a nice, finely tuned hunting rig and spend a little time with the archer. Also, the fact that shooting and club participation is way down from several years ago is a major concern of mine. I can't help but wonder IF bad experiences at most of these shops don't weight heavily into this decline??? As mentioned above I'm always surprised to see draw lengths that are way to log and most shooters trying to pull way more then they can handle comfortably. We need a Len Shop around here?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:11 PM

That's exactly why I go to my shop for all my gear. I get great customer service!! Anytime I've ever gone in there for a small fix or medium repair, he jumped on it right away and half the time he doesn't charge me. Granted, I've spent some good $$ there the past few years though. When I buy something from him, I don't really ever price him out just because of the customer service I receive. I just bought an Xtec and before I was said and done it was a little over a grand out the door. A lot of $$, but I know that something breaks when I'm in stand...I can go there and be back out for the afternoon hunt.

Quick Reply: Is your Dealer QUALIFIED???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.