Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

attracting deer

Old 04-10-2004, 12:57 PM

Default attracting deer

I am hunting a small wooded/swamp area right on the edge of a field. Right now, I have set up 2 salt licks on opposite ends of the woods, and any week now, I will be planting some clover mix. Do you guys suggest anything else that would help me bring in that big buck? And also, how often do you think I should go out there and check it my stealth cam out? I don't want to go out so much that I will spook the deer away.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:45 PM

Default RE: attracting deer

Small food plots and supplements are not very useful for "....bringing the big buck in."

Visual scouting, knowing where he/they stay(s), when they move, knowing where they go, knowing the various routes they use to go to and from, visual signs of a buck's presence, scrapes, rubs, etc. are your best bet to know and choose where you should sit to (hopefully) intercept that buck.

If you know where a buck habitually beds, don't burn the area. He will pull a disappearing act on you faster than you can blink.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:55 PM

HOW BIG OF AN AREA DO YOU HAVE TO PLANT A FOOD PLOT? IF YOU PLANT A PLOT FOR ATTRACTING DEER AND IT'S NOT BIG ENOUGH THE DEER WILL CHEW IT DOWN AND BY THE TIME YOU WANT TO HUNT IT THE DEER WILL BE SOMEWHERE ELSE. I SUGGEST PLANTING A PLOT ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF BEFORE BOW SEASON OPENS. THIS WILL GIVE THE PLOT TIME TO GROW AND TIME FOR THE DEER TO FIND IT AND START USING IT. IF IT'S BIG ENOUGH AND THE DOES USE IT DURING THE RUT AND PRE-RUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE THE BUCKS WILL BE USING IT ALSO.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:41 PM

we're lookin at about 1/2-1 acre
Old 04-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oronodeerslayer
Do you guys suggest anything else that would help me bring in that big buck?
Hunt small game when you want to see him - works every time for me.

I'm not sure that a .5 - 1 acre plot will hold deer like you want it to if planted too early. Start early to find the big guy, pattern him, find his bed, know where the doe staging areas are, and set up down wind (well before season).
Old 04-11-2004, 03:37 PM

Dont you believe small plots wont attract derr. deer are browsers and if they know some succulent browse is available they will come. Wont keep them there because unlike cattle (grazers), deer are browsers and like to move around. I would suggest you try Trifon, a turnip like plant. Deer and turkey love it. True if you plant stuff like cow peas, soybeans, deer will eat all of the greenery before it yields beans