Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

summit stands

Old 04-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default summit stands

i know lots of you use theses stands, I'm looking at the viper XLS, I can get one at a really good price. I really like the idea of a climber, but i was wondering how difficult it is to use with a tree that has some lower branches. are they difficult to get above those branches? thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: summit stands

I carry a small folding saw and saw off the low branches. You can not climb over or around them. If they are really low you may be able to set up over top of them and start climbing.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: summit stands

I don't use the summit but I do use a climber and prefer them because of the portability and it's a seat your use to no matter where you go.

One thing that I find helpful besides the folding saw (a must have) is to bring a few screw in steps with you as well. Sometimes you may find a perfect tree to climb but you have to start up to 10' off the ground because of a big branch or the trunk splits up higher. The steps will allow you to hunt those trees.