Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Stands

Old 01-19-2004, 05:36 PM

Default Summit Stands

I recently was the victim of some peice of garbage who sabotaged my Summit Goliath when I left it set up on the base of a tree on private property that I hunt. The stand was damaged when someone pried the metal cable clip holders back to where they actually dug into the rubber coating of the cable. It took me some time before I could straighten the clips out to get my stand detached from the tree. I only found out about the damage when I climbed down after a mornings hunt and tried to take the cable off. I e-mailed Summit about the damage and what parts to order. Several days later I received the clips in the mail from Summit, free of charge. It's nice to know that companies like Summit still exist. Although I heard that the owner of Summit is a former Marine so this kind of service shouldn't surprise me.
Thanks again Summit,

bmott
Old 01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Summit Stands

Sorry to hear of them damaging your stand. Luckly they didn't steal it though.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Nice stand BTW..........have you done anything to hush the climber's cables from clanging inside the tubes? I'm getting ready to try to modify the tube by pouring liquid rubber coating material down each side. I wanted to hear what others may have done.

Fritz
Old 01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not attempted anything Fritz but would be curious to see how your little experiment turns out. That little bit of "clanging" is probably the only negative thing I have noticed about my Summit. Great stand and great customer service.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does it not stop that little bit of clanging if you push your cables all the way in to the last stop? This works for me, as I don't have a bit of noise when I do this.

Yeah, Summit's customer service is top-notch. Will from Summit used to be a member of this board, and he was great at taking care of anything, and helped quite a few of us out with different situations. I don't see him on anymore, but he and the rest of the crew are still tops!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your situation is a perfect example of a comany going above and beoynd the call of duty. To bad every company doesn't think that way.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MQ1shooter

Does it not stop that little bit of clanging if you push your cables all the way in to the last stop? This works for me, as I don't have a bit of noise when I do this.

Yeah, Summit's customer service is top-notch. Will from Summit used to be a member of this board, and he was great at taking care of anything, and helped quite a few of us out with different situations. I don't see him on anymore, but he and the rest of the crew are still tops!
Carrying the stand isn't the issue since the cables make no noise whatsoever while moving. What we mean is that when you climb a tree requiring you to set the cables with 1 or 2 barrels still inside the tube, the climber tends to clang as the cable slips up the back of the tree. This is avoidable with the seat because most people's dexterity with their hands is better than their feet. You can disengage, pull, then re-engage silently the top portion. However, with hunting boots on it's not as easy to cleanly engage the climber. The result is a cable that slides up the back of tree intermittantly causing the clang. I will fix it yet -- I swear!

I heard someone suggest a bottle cleaner brush on the end of the cable to keep it centered, but I haven't tried it yet.

Some other tips for the Summits:

1. Buy a set of aftermarket straps to replace the ones that came with the stand. Cabelas makes a decent set.
2. Go to an electrical supply store (the kind electricians go to) and get some 3M rubber insulation wrap. Wrap this around the front bar of the climber and the two inclines you often have to step onto to start climbing. It takes the slipperyness out of it and quiets the front bar from twigs rubbing against it as you walk.

Any other Summit modification tips? Let's keep this thread going...........

Fritz
Old 01-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

As for mods to summit's, I don't know about anybody else, but I can't stand those elastic heel straps that you have to fuss with to get behind the heel of your boots. It's especially annoying with a big set of pacs. So I just cut those elastic heel straps off, left the green straps in place, and I use a 12" or so bungy cord. I just reach down with the bungy cord behind my ankles, and hook each hook onto the green straps on the outside of my boots. It holds a lot tighter than their elastic cords, and allows more control of the stand on the way up the tree, not to mention it's quieter, the tighter hold means no drag on the tree.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will from Summit used to be a member of this board, and he was great at taking care of anything, and helped quite a few of us out with different situations.
That would be Will Woller, aka Summitman, and he does still frequent these forums...even if he does not post. Will is a real down to earth guy and very easy to talk to. A real asset to the company in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will is a real down to earth guy and very easy to talk to. A real asset to the company in my opinion.
Exactly. I won't say exactly how Will took care of me once (don't want everyone bombarding him with similar requests), but let's just say I think he went WAY above and beyond the call of duty -- at his own suggestion. I'd offered to pay for something I wanted extra, and ... like I said: Class act.

Quick Reply: Summit Stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.