Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses their harness while climbing? >

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Old 04-08-2004, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who uses their harness while climbing?

I don't wear my belts(harness) until I am at or near height in my climber. In my hang-ons, I strap in just before actually stepping into the stand.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the hang on stands and only use the harness once in the tree. Guess maybe I should rethink some of that. I am always careful getting in and out and I do attach it before I do anything else.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Always put it on once I'm up in the stand. You got to play life's odds. Is a fall going to happen the two minutes it takes you to climb up to your stand or the xhours your in the stand.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Mike from Texas, I don't hink you really meant what I percieved,
Huh?

but $6 difference for the climbing system is nothing compared to funeral costs.
Agreed, but I have about 15 different lock on stands I hunt from and at $35 a pop, that can get expensive really quick.

But good info is always good for the rest of us.
Again, huh?

As mentioned you can just go to your local Home Depot (or whatever) and buy 5/8" nylon rope and 1/2" for the prussic and make your own. You can make three of them for $35.
I plan on trying that as well.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO I DO NOT, they pose more of an obsticle than as a safety device for me. They get all tangled up and it takes forever to get up or down a tree, not to mention the tree limbs along the way and at day-thirty, I don't feel like dealing with it, anyway most of my stands I can snooze in, so it would be kinda hard to fall out of . Its kinda like wearing a seat belt driving a vechicle or if you want to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, sometimes you can get away with it and sometimes you don't. Bobby
Old 04-08-2004, 11:07 PM

I have three safty straps. One is attached to the tree above my Loc On Limit Stand. One I use only when placing my tree steps and hanging my stand. The third is a climbing strap that came with my climbing spikes.

I always have NUMEROUS branches between the ground and my stand that it would be a noisy if not clumsey task to attach ad reattach the strap.

I like the idea of a Prussic Sling but with so many intervening branches, I can't envision how I could use it. I have several that I used during my mountain climbing past. I use the straps to put my stand up and take it down and any time I am on the stand. Going up and down I do not use a strap . . . hooking and unhooking the strap is not without its hazzards.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:21 AM

as soon as the stand is ready to go up the tree (climber) the harness gets connected to the tree and stays that way until i'm back on the ground ,i wouldn't do it any other way!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been thinking about how to use one of the climbing systems with a lock on set up. I use climbing sticks with my lock ons. How would you safely slide the prussic know up the rope while climbing? You would have to remove at least one hand from the ladder while climbing and this doesn't seem very safe to me. When climbing, I always have both hands and feet on the ladder at all times. Anybody tried this yet? Also, most of the trees I climb do not have any sizeable branches until I get to my stand or above. I would have to tie the rope around the tree and I din't see how it would keep from sliding down the tree in case you fell and it would also slam you into the side of the tree or even my ladder which would not be fun.

Just pondering.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:01 PM

Yea but neither would be dying.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I realize that most of us are getting old in age (I'm still 18 in spunk), but in climbing a tree, I now have a fresh memory. My son who is 7, climbs until he is to the very very top. As much as a dad who doesn't want to see my son hurt or dead, all I can say is be very carefull and watch out for the (blank). I climbed like that in my memory as if it was yesterday.

Rule number one you will die. You know your boundries. Be safe.

Quick Reply: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.