Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses their harness while climbing? >

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Old 04-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Hello
I always strap in after arriving at the height or the tree stand. Unstrap when ready to climb down. This year I will try to do it from the bottom to top. I don't think it'll be to tough with the climber, but will not work on all the hang-on sites.
Dan
Old 04-08-2004, 05:33 AM

What, are you guys stupid or what?? Always wear that safety harness, especially when climbing or descending. You put so much effort into your sport, don't let a careless moment rob you of your enjoyment, and maybe your life. I survived a tree fall (while descending) and I would never use a tree stand without a harness, at all times.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I once did much the same as you. However, considering the heights I now normally go to and my weight, I use the harness the moment I stop into the treestand at the base until the moment I get back down. There is just too much that can go wrong and can be avoided with the use of a good safety restraint system.

Speaking of which, I do not know if you guys know of the new Summit "harness" out there but I just picked one up and it is excellent. I will have to do a new product review of it shortly.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't wear it going up... don't wear it when I'm up.... don't wear it coming down.[:-]
Old 04-08-2004, 07:46 AM

I guess I've gotten to feel so secure with the wraparound effect of the Ol' Man that I don't wear one much. I would definitely wear one if I used an "open-front" climber. I do in my fixed stands. I'm an idiot whose false sense of security will probably come back to bite me. It just seems nearly impossible for a fall with the wraparound. Only thing that could happen was the cable breaking. I need to buy the seat of the pants type harness. the others are a real pain.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too use it from the time my feet leave the ground till they are back on it. I've lived long enough so far to aquire some wisdom and don't plan to get stupid at this point.

Mike from Texas, I don't hink you really meant what I percieved, but $6 difference for the climbing system is nothing compared to funeral costs. But good info is always good for the rest of us. As mentioned you can just go to your local Home Depot (or whatever) and buy 5/8" nylon rope and 1/2" for the prussic and make your own. You can make three of them for $35.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:09 AM

I don't use one climbing up to my hang-on stands, but it is on as soon as I hit the platform I put it on. On my old climber it has an open front and I put it on once I'm in postion and use it on the way down. I just bought a close front climber and will probably do the same thing. I did take my new stand out this winter just to try it and with the closed front I feel real secure, but I'll probably wear it anyways. I may try the prussic knot for climbing to my portables, it sounds like a good idea.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:12 AM

With ampahunter's comment on the 30 foot rope you should always wear your harness. There are no excuses.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

I should but don't attach mine until I am at hunting height in a climber or in my hang on stands.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:56 AM
PLB

I always were my harness

Quick Reply: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.