Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses their harness while climbing? >

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses their harness while climbing?

Old 04-09-2004, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Who uses their harness while climbing?

Mike, I feel you with the climbing sticks and having to remove a hand to move the prussic. However, although I have not tested the harness I made yet, I plan on lettin the rope hand down right beside my climbing poles and just push it up as far as possible every few feet. That should be pretty easy to do. If you fall, yes you will get slammed against the tree or the climbing sticks, but that beats hitting the ground, a few bruises will never be as bad as a broken neck. Also, as far as the rope sliding down the tree, I don't see that happening, the pressure from your weight should lock the rope in place without any problems, if anything you will have a slower fall, which I highly doubt would injure you.

Safe climbing!!
Old 04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good thread. My buddy and I have been trying to come up with a device for years that acts like a seatbelt - attach it to you at ground level and just climb - the strap recoils with you on the way up and follows you on the way down, no hands to fool with a knot. If you fall, the ratchet mechanism (like that of a seat belt), locks and stops your fall. I always use a climbing restraint system while installing steps and my hang on stands so it would be easy and safe to attach this system the same time you hang the stand on. Haven't developed this yet, just in the drawing stages, so if anyone wants to help me out, (or steal this idea), PM me.

What got me thinking about this system is one day when I slipped off an icy screw-in tree stand step. I was able to catch myself and avoid a rather uncomfortable reuniting with the ground, but it scared me. I never use a strap while climbing or descending, but always while in the stand.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:07 PM

badshotbob, that sounds great, I wouldn't be giving ideas out though!!! I am assuming it would have a function that would allow you to leave it hanging to the ground so when you come back to hunt, you can just hook up and climb?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

How would you safely slide the prussic know up the rope while climbing? You would have to remove at least one hand from the ladder while climbing and this doesn't seem very safe to me. When climbing, I always have both hands and feet on the ladder at all times. Anybody tried this yet?
Mike, the rope is first tied at about waist height (when standing in your stand). The remaining rope then hangs to the ground. I then use a screw in step and tie the bottom end of the rope on to the step, so the rope is now tied at both ends. This allows the prissic knot to slide up or down on the rope very easilly.
As for 'removing' your hand--you do that everytime you move from one step to the other, it's a hand then a foot, then a hand then a foot--it would be almost 'impossible to climb' a tree if both of your hands and feet were 'always' in contact with the climbing stick--think about it.
So while that hand is in transition, just slide the prussic knot and then hold on to the next step.
It's very safe--and like I've said, branches ain't a problem.
Also once weight is applied to the prussic knot it locks easily to the anchor rope, once you get the hang of it you'll never climb another tree without one!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Being a lineman I climb poles for a living .We were taught when I was an upstart apprentice to free climb(no safetyaround the pole)until you got to your destination,then safety off.We where also taught how to hitchhike up a pole safety strapped around the pole as you asscend or descend.Mike the system you speak of is called three point contact and should always be used.It is ironic that you guys mention the prusic knot with the fall line,this year I made a couple of these for a couple of my stands and found that to slide the knot it is very difficult to do unless you used both hands.Badshotbob youre idea sounds like an excellent one that if done right would make you a lot of money.I think of these kind of things too.One of the most dangerous things about climbing is when you safety off and on like when going over obstructions and branches,thats when many climbing accidents happen.I always wear my safety when I get into my stand.Sometims when I climb to my treestands I will wear a safety all the way up.Bill D>
Old 04-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

found that to slide the knot it is very difficult to do unless you used both hands
drstalker, if the 'bottom end' of the rope is also tied you should not have to use both hands.
For me it's a one hand operation, but the bottom of the rope has to be anchored as well.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ampa, that's exactly what I was thinking about. If the rope is tied off on both ends and stretched tight, the knot should slide easily as you say. I'm gonna go get some rope today and try that out. Now I just have to find a tree big enough to climb around here.