Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help Quick... >

Need Help Quick...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help Quick...

Old 04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help Quick...

Hoytrazortech, I never heard of a qualification being required to hunt, but I think its a great ideal. How many times have we seen wannabes at walmart days prior to hunting season? I think the course you mentioned is very fair and actually if you can't get 80% on it, you really have no need in being in the woods. Don't put so much pressure on yourself in what equiptment to qualify with but put more emphasis on what equiptment will you be hunting with. If your going to hunt with it, than put it on now and practice. I am constantly expermenting with my equiptment, but I start early too. Just because Joe Blow likes it, doesn't mean I will. Good luck, Bobby
Old 04-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without getting into the WB BS, unless it's seriously worn out then forget changing the rest. Concentrate on YOU and your confidence. That's where the problem lies.

The idea of the test is to assure you have a reasonable chance of making a killing shot with your hunting bow within the parameters of the test. I don't know what targets you're shooting at - McKenzie deer, perhaps? If so, use your binoculars and make sure you locate the 10 ring (if you can't see them with the naked eye). Aim for the 10 ring and execute the shot. You'll hit at least a few 10's and the 8's should be easy.

Just remember, if you hit a 5, then you've got to make 2 10's to make up for it. But if you stay loose, relaxed and confident, you won't hit any 5's.

These proficiency tests are a cakewalk for guys who regularly shoot 3D. You might consider taking up the sport.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:46 AM

So lets get this straight if you haven't tried it you can't knock it. If you have and don't like it, your still wrong.

I did for a month and it sucked plain and simple. Your response to me was that I must not know how to tune my bow. Well I guess not but it is shooting consistently now with my 3D rover after ten mins of putting it on.
Yes and no.........yes I think you can form an opinion.......no I don't think you should come on to a public forum and continually post negative comments about a product that you haven't actually tried !!

Secondly.....yes I think you can try it and not like it and bash it ! But yes I think you may have had issues that you were unaware of ! Because I know for a fact that they are not that bad.........maybe not as good for you as your rover.......but still not that bad.... none the less !!

I'll give you another example ! I have owned and shot bows that maintained speeds from 290-303 fps for 7 years !! I couldn't get any of them to group FB broadheads with my field points !

I paper tuned each bow and was 100 % confident in my set up !

So should I come on here on every post about broadhead flight and say that fixed blades won't shoot with field points at speeds in the 290-303 fps range ?

Well after a lot of tuning tips ........I figured out where my short comings were.......learned completely new tuning methods.....worked it out and getting good broadhead flight now !

If you would have asked me a year ago if my bow was tuned perfectly.......with 100% confidence I would have said yes !! Was it .......obviously not !!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM

HoytRazortec.......sorry for getting into all this crap on your thread ! Other posts have got me into this !!

Follow Arthur P's advice and you should be in business !!

Good luck and so long on this one !!
Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 AM

Just relax and you'll do fine. If you can hit lungs on every shot you have nothing to worry about, unless you get yourself all worked up and can't concentrate. Relax it's just another day on the range.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:58 AM

sorry for getting into all this crap on your thread
Contained within all the crap is information. May not seem so, but it (information) is there.

The problem is; when someone is using a particular piece of gear and having good results, or claiming so, and negatives about the gear is posted, the person using the product takes it personal. He or she is then blinded to the fact that the value of what is being said is actually intended for the person who does not yet use the product and is seeking as much input as they can find, or is using the product but not having the claimed results.

"hoytrazortec" has expressed that he is concerned about what rest he should use. It would not be very informative just to say, do or do not use a particular piece of gear without some form of clarification.

However, as others have pointed out, it is awful late in the game to change critical gear and prepare for qualification. He can always trash the "WB" at a later time.