Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you shoot  feather up or down with your drop away? >

Do you shoot feather up or down with your drop away?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot feather up or down with your drop away?

Old 04-01-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Do you shoot feather up or down with your drop away?

I am shooting a quictune 2000 drop away out of my Hoyt Vipertec with Easton Axis arrows. I am currently shooting cock feather up and making some type of contact with my fletching and my rest. I believe I am contacting the arrow holder that comes with the rest. Does anybody else have same issues with their drop aways. I am going to rotate my knock and see if this helps.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:30 PM

Default RE: Do you shoot feather up or down with your drop away?

I'm using the same rest, cock feather down, and it still comes in contact with it. I was told by a friend who works at one of the shops down in the Tri-Cities that bows shooting over 240 fps will cause the arrows to come into contact with the rest. Apparently the rest doesnt drop away fast enough.

It hasn't presented too big of a problem for me yet, I'm getting tight groups, but i always thought the idea behind the drop aways was that the arrow would have NO contact with the rest at all... Go figure...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:06 PM

Took a picture so you can see just where the fletching is coming in contact with the rest.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:10 PM

And here you can see what it does to my vanes.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:09 AM

Some rests are designed to be shot only cock vane up, others cock vane down. Some dropaways can be used either way. In the case of your NAP rest, it is designed for cock vane DOWN. If you still get vane contact shooting cock vane down, then something is amiss with your setup i.e. nock orientation, rest not dropping soon enough, etc. In your picture it looks like you are even getting contact with the black block that the prongs are mounted to. A dropaway should have no vane contact at all - PERIOD. If it does, then something is not set up correctly.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a GKF Premier drop away and shoot cock feather out. Works best for hen feather clearence past the cables and riser.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:17 AM

I was told to shoot cock down with my quicktune
Old 04-02-2004, 08:39 AM

mathews,

I am shooting with the quicktune 4000. I have found that you have to shoot with the cock feather UP with quicktunes. I also had to trim the arrowholder down a little bit as I was getting a little contact. After the adjustments though it shoots like a dream.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something to consider....if you are shooting a rest like the NAP dropaway and are getting fletching contact with the cock vane down then it may be just the opposite of what everyone is suggesting. Instead of not having the rest drop soon enough maybe it is dropping too soon and not getting adequate support during the launch cycle. This is causing the arrow to actually angle down upon release and thus allowing the fletching to contact the "bridge" between the prongs.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:29 AM

I'm shooting a Hoyt Vipertec with the Dropzone rest. I am shooting cock feather up, and don't have any clearance problems. I also have a friend of mine shooting an LX with the Dropzone rest. He also shoots cock feather up and doesn't get any kind of clearance problems.

Quick Reply: Do you shoot feather up or down with your drop away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.