Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 FIRST TIME BOW HUNTER >

FIRST TIME BOW HUNTER

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FIRST TIME BOW HUNTER

Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 AM

Default FIRST TIME BOW HUNTER

I AM A LONG TIME DUCK HUNTER WHO NEVER WANTED TO TAKE TIME FROM MY DUCK SEASON TO BOW HUNT. BUT THIS YEAR I WANT TO START BOW HUNTING. I HAVE STOPPED IN AT THE LOCAL PRO SHOPS, BUT IT SEEMS ALL THEY WANT IS TO SELL ME THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOW THEY HAVE. (THEY WERE NOT HELPFUL ONE BIT) CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON A GOOD BOW FOR A FIRST TIMER?
Old 03-28-2004, 10:45 AM

Default RE: FIRST TIME BOW HUNTER

First off, I wanna say welcome to the board! Now, the bow part. For just starting out, dont go heavy on speed or poundage or anything to powerful. Go with a higher brace hieght bow(the distance from the back of the grip to the string) because theyre more forgiving. Make sure you get the proper draw length, not to long or short. Start with a comfortable poundage and work your way up gradually, this is the perfect time to start because you have a few months to get use to everything and eventually turn your poundage up. As for bows, you are probably going to end up spending $400 minimum on a new bow, and thats with bare essentials(probably like a PSE nova with a sight, rest, release, and stringwork, plus 6 arrows). If your wanting a package bow, parker and hoyt make some great setups with the quality of a new bow. If your not wanting a new bow cause you dont want to sink that kind of money into it, ebay has some used stuff, as well as local ads in pro shops and the newspaper. Make sure you check the bow out though before you buy it. Check for cracks in the limbs or riser, if the cams lean either direction, any noises when drawn or shot, mostly things that just dont look right. String condition isnt that big of a deal, cause you'll probably have to replace it anyways. Make sure it fits you! Dont buy a bow cause it seems like a "good deal", you'll end having tons of problems that cant be fixed so your stuck with them which can make you shoot poorly and deter you from archery. Hope this helps, maybe some other people can add some stuff ive left out. Good luck on your search for a bow and let us know what you decide.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:58 AM

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT!
As far as price goes I know most of the time you get what you pay for so I am willing to splurge a little (just don't tell my wife HA HA). I have shot a mathews outback, and a bow tech liberty and I could tell no difference, besides the price, which was very little. I also looked at the fred bear bows the only thing I didn't like about them was they didn't have a life time warranty. do you think I need a life time warranty, and is it worth spending a little more and getting a high end bow?
Old 03-28-2004, 01:12 PM

You do get what you pay for. For just starting out, your probably not going to be able to tell the difference in those bows. After time of shooting one bow, then going to another high end bow and shooting it, you'll tell the difference. Life time warranties come in handy. Ive never had to have anything replaced on my mathews, but people have come in every now and then to the store and there were no questions, they just got what they needed and had it replaced.