Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Food Plot ????s

Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Food Plot ????s

Hey guys, the farmers who farm my in-laws place are doing ALL corn this year. They planted beans last year and the difference in the racks was amazing, I'm guessing from the amount of protein in the beans and the extra rain we got early in the Spring. I have some room that I can plant a food plot and I'd like to get some good nutrients in there for the bucks.

So my questions are:

What is the best all around thing to plant for deer nutrients? Is it the Biologic or marketed stuff or would something from a feed store work just as well.

What are the prices we're looking at, don't want to get too out of hand?

What time of year do you plant this stuff and how much maintanence is required??

Thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot ????s

Lablab and Aeschynomene have both worked well for me .
Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM

How big of a plat are you thinking of?

I ordered a sample pack from Whitetail institute that came with a ton on info and a video on their products. Their whitetail imperial clover is blended to provider roughly 30%-35% protine through out the 200+ days of antler growth. It wasn't particuarly cheap $144 for a 25lb. bag but I think that will plant in excess of 5 acres. They also have smaller bags 4lb that cost $36 and cover about an acre. the good thing about the clover is it is a peranuial and will last for up to 5 years.

They got other products as well. The sample pack I got was free but I had to pay for shipping.(not really free) But it came with lots of info on food plots.

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/samples/
Old 03-25-2004, 12:42 PM

The area I'm planning to plant is still up for grabs. The farmer is leaving about 60 ft between the edge of his crops and the tree line so I figured I could put it in there and it's about 200yds long. I could plant more if I wanted but it would be out of the area I'm hunting heavily.

Clover is a great idea. Maybe I can just go to the local nursery and buy a big bag of clover. Is that an option any of you considered or is that just being cheap?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:38 PM

Solax,
If you check out that link I posted they have a quite a bit of info posted. The blends that they have developed consist of a variety of clovers that are designed to provider continued protine through the entire period of antler development.

If you are trying to get this done as cheaply as possiable a 4 lb. bag should be pleanty. I worked the figures you posted 200yd.(600ft.) x 60ft = 36.000 sq ft. An acre has 43,000 sq ft. so for less than 40$ you can get the deer very good feed, that if left undisturbed will return for upto 5 years. If it only lasted just 2 year that still pretty cheep.IMO