Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I Practice with Broadheads or with field tips????? >

Should I Practice with Broadheads or with field tips?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I Practice with Broadheads or with field tips?????

Old 03-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Should I Practice with Broadheads or with field tips?????

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

Download the "Tuning Guide" to help you get your bow shooting properly. It's got step by step instructions so it's pretty easy to follow.

On a side note, when did NAP start making a 75gr Thunderhead? Last I looked they had 85, 100 & 125gr only. Either way, your setup looks sound and should do the job on deer and turkey, but stay away from the bears with that little of a draw weight as others suggested. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:18 AM

i generally shoot field tips when not hunting, but before i go hunting i shoot broad heads, but then again i get lucky i usually don't have to retune for the broadheads. but don't take that as a rule of thumb, my cousin shoots 6 " to the left when he switches to broad heads.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't wait until the hunting season is almost upon me to try out my broadheads.
I periodically check them throughout the year. At least once a month.

If you're going to hunt, you've got to practice with broadheads --period.
Broadheads can amplify any error in tuning, and will often impact a different point than your field tips if everything's not quite right.

To make sure you don't have a problem, shoot field tips and broadheads at a variety of ranges.
For example, if you only shoot at the standard 20 yards all the time, and your broadheads are hitting th esame spot as you field tips, GREAT! ...but if you shoot at 30 or 10, you may find out that the arrow is oscillating more and not hitting corectly. The problem may not be evident at all ranges, since the arrow will be in mid oscillation and can appear to be bahaving properly.

Here's another tip I use.
To help visualize a good hit on an animal while shooting the sometimes fussy broadheads, I keep a cardboard 2-d deer target handy for shooting at last thing before going to bed the night before a hunt. I throw on some of my hunting gear, load up a broadhead, and send that razor right through the center of his lungs. I don't shoot at it all the time, but doing so with a broadhead, with my gear on, and while focusing on my sights instead of the deer helps build confidence in myself and my equipment, and reduces buck fever.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Squirrel,

Correct me if I'm wrong NY also makes you qualify with your bow before you can bowhunt.
No NY doesnt require you to qualify with your bow, although at your bowhunting course, the instructor lets you bring your bow and you can shoot a little bit.....
Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a freind who said the pro shop paper tuned his bow yet his Bheads didn't have the same impact point as his fieldtips. I put up a piece of newspaper and check....well it wasn't tuned. He wen't back to the proshop and their excuse was he musta bumped it. They tued it again and charged him for it....I checked and it still wasn't tuned. I spent almost anhour getting perfect holes and then guess what? his Bheads had the same impact point as his fieldtips.

Apparently in their haste to make money they cheated him out of some. Either that or they used a centershot alignment and claimed itwas tuned.

Always check your own bow for good paper tears even if a proshop tunes it for you.

When I shot alums I had a cushion plunger rest and it tuned very fast and easy. I changed to carbons and could no longer use the cushion plunger and had to go to a prong style rest (NAP Quicktune) well.... it doesn't tune quick...it might be the narrow arrows that makes it hard...as a matter of fact it is sorta difficult compared to the cushion plunger. Yes, I do use a release, but the cushion plungeris an excellent rest if you use fat arrows.

This is just my opinion and doesn't mean diddly.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:06 PM

oh yea forgot one thing--- i have a whisker biscuit on the bow
Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would shoot with the broadheads if ur target can take them.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:52 PM

i use a 3d deer decoy with replaceable vitals or i use the black box thing with the white dots in it...
Old 03-24-2004, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

check the owner manual if it came with one. i am pretty sure that the box takes broadheads
Old 03-25-2004, 07:26 AM
PLB

Squirrelhunter91,

Welcome to the sport of Bowhunting. I am glad you are here searching for answers to your questions, that is how we all learn and become better and more responsible hunters.

Spend a lot time shooting your field-tips to really work on your shooting form and consistency. A few weeks to a month prior to your hunt, start shooting your broadheads.

Good luck, PLB

Quick Reply: Should I Practice with Broadheads or with field tips?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.