Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Problem with dropping my bow >

Problem with dropping my bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problem with dropping my bow

Old 03-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Problem with dropping my bow

Welcome to the board. Get a bow sling.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:25 AM
pup

mrfritz44 im kinda going to call you on that one. If you shoot with proper form with your shoulder down in the socet so to speak when the bow goes off your shoulder will go up and forward like, atleast thats what good old Bernie Pellerite tought me
Old 03-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The answer is 5% form, 5% equipment and 90% mental. On the mental end, like everyone else says, concentrate on aiming and pointing your bowhand at the target until you hear the arrow hit the target.

Forget the bent elbow. I am firmly opposed to inducing an artificial bend in the elbow. It causes you to rely on muscle power to hold the bow steady. Muscles get tired and start shaking, not a problem for one or two shots, but in competition, it'll eat your shorts. Not to mention that I feel it puts additional stress on the shoulder joint.

If you're like most folks and shoot with a low wrist grip and keep the elbow relaxed and not locked out, the elbow will take a slight natural bend all by itself. That is bent enough.

I also suggest making sure your tiller is properly set. Hold your bow out and aim the pin at the dot before drawing. Then, holding the pin there, draw the bow slowly. If the pin tries to pull up or down, off the dot, then you need to adjust the tiller. If it pulls down, take some weight off the bottom limb and/or add weight to the top limb. If it tries to pull up, take weight off the top limb and/or add weight to the bottom limb. Keep adjusting until the pin stays on that spot all the way through the draw.

That is also a great test to find out if you're overbowed. If you can't draw the bow straight back, you're tugging too much draw weight.

Question for you guys that recommended a sling. How is a sling going to do one darn thing to keep someone from dropping their bow arm? I don't get it.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can also try going with a lighter stabilizer .Authur P is absolutely right pulling too much weight will cause you too drop prematurely and it doesn't hurt to drop a couple of lb's it's all about being comfortable and not muscling the bow ,let the bow do the work.

Welcome to the board T.C. you've come to the right place to get your answer's
Old 03-20-2004, 07:52 AM

T.J:

I'm curious. If you shoot in competion and you are "pretty good," what in the accuracy/grouping of your arrows on target is indictative that you are lowering your bow arm to soon?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:43 AM

Use a sling it probably the number one recommendation I've read although all points are right on the money. MANY [:@]Years ago I used to drop my bow and arm; my pro shop recommended a sling and told me not to GRAB my bow. It took a bit of form correction but the only part of my bow hand that comes in contact with the grip is the web between my thumb and first finger.

Mind you . . . everything sais above is right on the mark!