Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Little ones dropping already >

Little ones dropping already

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Little ones dropping already

Old 04-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Little ones dropping already

I checked the condition of my food plots this morning and found a bunch of 1.5 inch tracks that look to be from this years fawns. I put up the stealth can to see if I can get some pics.

Anyone else seeing this years fawns yet?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Little ones dropping already

That would be incredibly early. They usually drop late May to early June here in KY. That would put the breeding of those does around the beginning to middle of September 04. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:55 AM

I thought it was early too but the tracks (in soft wet mud) are only 1.5 inches long. Absolutely tiny itty bitty little tracks. I guess we'll see what the stealth cam pics up.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't seen any fawns yet, don't usually until may, but I did have a pretty neat experience the other day while walking a deer run looking for turkey sign. I was standing on what I thought was a groundhog hole, all the while hearing something coming through the really thick brush. lo and behold, here comes this fox pup, couldn't have been more than eight weeks old. this little guy stops no more than ten feet from me. I was down wind and he had no idea I was there until I intentionally moved. I left as to not alert mom and dad, and to not piss them off. one of the neatest things to have happened to me in the woods.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

sweet experience hoyt!

As for fawn tracks I have seen new born fawn tracks in mid-april here in Indiana. Gestation for deer is "normally" 7 months. A few does get bred in mid-October every year. And fawns are occasionally born 1 month pre-mature. This could be what you saw, it is rare but happens more than you think.