Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Release hanging up! >

Release hanging up!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Release hanging up!

Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Release hanging up!

I have a scott mongoose release and shoot with a string loop. I had a problem a while back of my release not letting go of my string loop. The curved jaw of the release was "catching" the loop and not letting go when I pulled the trigger. When it would finally let go, the arrow would fly in an unknown direction because I would freak out because I am at full draw and I just pulled the trigger but the arrow is still pulled back. This was a very scary thing. I figured it was my string loop because the material was not very good and the metal jaws seemed to wear a groove on the inside of the string loop. I had the loop replaced and put around 200 shots on the new string loop. Tonight I was shooting in my wooden shed and this happend to me 3 times in a row. The first time I put an arrow into my cabinets the second arrow went through the wall and the 3rd I got really close to the bag and it happend again. I have lost all confidence in either my release, my string loop, or both. I am kind of scared to shoot my bow because I don't know when it is going to happen again. After the first couple of times it happend to me it gave me terrible target panic and I was just getting over it, then the problem came back. Does anyone have any opinions on what I should do? I was thinking about just shooting off of the string, but I am kind of scared of this still happening again. Has anyone ever had any problems like this?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Release hanging up!

Don't know much about your release . . . bit I use the True Fire and have never had a problem and both Mathew's and my pro-shop recommend that I shoot off the string.

This year after 3+ years, I am replacing my string and cable . . . because they have stretched a bit . . . not because of any wear [there is none]. . . but I'm always generous with string wax.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say theres absolutely nothing wrong with your release.

What you just described is a perfect example of target panic.

Try shooting at close range at a big target. Something bigger than the bag type target. Shoot from 5 - 10 yards just shooting at the middle of the target not aiming at anything in particular , just concentrating on a smooth release. Some folks even close their eyes to concentrate on their release but I'm afraid to tell you to do that , I dont want you ruining any more cabinets or walls.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:53 AM

Thanks for your replies.
Bowfanatic- I know I have a terrible case of target panic. It got really bad when my release first started hanging up. Probably around 4-5 months ago. I started shooting again at the beginning of the month (3-d).
On my 3rd and final shot I got within 5ft. of the target and focused on just squeezing the trigger, making sure I had no torque or panic in my hand. It still hung up. You could be right about it not being the release and it being me. All I know for sure is, I am scared to shoot my bow right now.

PS. PSE Carbon Extreme 300's are tough. I used the same arrow for both shots on wood and it is still straight and ready to go.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bullshirt! You pull the trigger and the release doesn't go off, it's NOT target panic, it's a screwed up release. If it wasn't target panic before though, shooting with a release you KNOW is malfunctioning is the quick path to getting there.

Have you cleaned and lubed the release? Like anything mechanical, it requires periodic maintenance. And it's susceptable to wear and breakage, so it eventually requires replacement.

Those are just facts, but you asked for opinion also, so --- releases suck! [:'(][8D]

I had my run with releases. Hate the blasted things. Just something about relinquishing control of the string to a mechanical device.... and then have that piece of crap BREAK!??! Nope. I've had more than enough of that. The third time the head of my release broke off and went flying downrange, I didn't even bother to look for it.

Besides, I like the feeling of control and security I have when my fingers are on the string. It makes me feel like "I" am part of the shot, not just an interested onlooker. So my 20 yard groups are a half inch bigger with my tab than they were with my release. Big freakin' deal! I'll still hit the sweet spot on a deer and, besides that, finger shooters have their own class for competition.

So, my opinion is to throw that piece of junk release in the trash and replace it with a tab and a flipper rest.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 AM

Calm down Art.

Maybe you could borrow a different release from someone. Like arthur said it could be the release. Might try some oil on it.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:51 AM
nub

So Art, your a touchy, feely type guy!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:50 AM

oh yeah i had this happen to me one time and i will never forget it!i was pulled back on a nice 8 pt buck and my release would not fire either---bummer.but i came to find out it was obstructed with dirt or something.i cleaned it out real good and oiled it and checked the trigger setting and it worked fine after that.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:40 PM

Thanks for everyones replies. I will borrow a friends release for an upcoming 3d shoot and ship the mongoose back to scott and see what they have to say. Does anyone know if the scott mongoose was made to be shot off the string and also a loop?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullshirt! You pull the trigger and the release doesn't go off, it's NOT target panic, it's a screwed up release. If it wasn't target panic before though, shooting with a release you KNOW is malfunctioning is the quick path to getting there.
Hey Art , what he described is target panic to a T!

I went thru this same EXACT scenario myself a few years ago and I too thought it was my release. It wasn't! I was putting too much focus or anticipation into pulling the trigger. Otherwise known as target panic.

With the Mongoose caliper type jaw it's not going to "stick"! If it did you'd simply back down your draw and take a good close look at your release and not do this..
The curved jaw of the release was "catching" the loop and not letting go when I pulled the trigger. When it would finally let go, the arrow would fly in an unknown direction
Before you send your release anywhere , hold it in your hand and pull the trigger 50 times. Watch the jaws , if they open 50 times you'd be sending a perfectly good release back to Scott!

I'm not real familiar with the Mongoose but I can tell you a couple of things I did with my release to solve the problem. I adjusted the trigger tension so if I farted it would go off. I also shortened the release so my trigger rested in the middle of my index finger. And finally , I started shooting each shot as though I was using my entire arm instead of pulling the trigger. When zeroed on target my finger would be rested on the trigger but my entire arm would be part of my shot sequence so that after my shot my trigger hand would still be going straight back.

Oh one other thing. If you pull the trigger 50 times and the release doesn't open 50 times.....it's junk!
But it does sound exactly like what I went thru!

Quick Reply: Release hanging up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.