Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech or not?? >

Bowtech or not??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech or not??

Old 03-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowtech or not??

I've been thinking about a BowTech for some time now I presently own a Mathews Q2xl and a FX. I have been debating on the new LX but for some reason I'm drawn toward the BowTechs. The dealer I go to carries both so every time I went to look over the Mathews I couldn't help but pick up a Bowtech.

I would like something a little faster than my Q2xl but I still would like it to be forgiving. the Extreme VFT has my attention and so does the Patriot VFT. The speed looks real close between the 2 , the Patriot has a longer brace height so I can assume it's the more forgiving. (I assume). Another one Is the dually, it has the best of both but 2 cams. I would assume the dually doesn't have that soild wall I've became so used to with one cam bows. I would have to get used to that again. Then there's all the 2 cam issues that Mathews has been pointing out for years. (I guess I should try to take most of that with a grain of salt).
Anyway any opinions and info would help me decide. Thanks in advance Jim
Old 03-13-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Bowtech or not??

I have shot the bowtech tech 29 and I like it. Every guy that has one at the range i go to loves it and they are fast. I am looking to buy a tech 29 or a mightymite myself. So I would go with a bowtech. They have plenty of different models and I havent heard any bad news about any bowtechs yet and their service is supposed to be the best!!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:41 PM

You should check out the Liberty, Pro 40 and the dually Pat too before you make a final decision. You won't be sorry with either.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing to do is get the dealer to set them up both the Bowtech's and Mathews bows and shoot them.

That is really going to be the only way to work out which bow is right for you.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:07 PM

The '04 Duallys have a very short valley and 65% letoff, which is not adjustable. I've had my '04 Patriot Dually for about 1 1/2 weeks and I love the feel of the smoother cam compaired to my '03 Pat Dually hunting set up. Some like me shoot very well with a very short valley and I believe it helps my accuracy. The Patriot VFT single is much more adjustable for draw length and letoff and only gives up about 12 fps to the Dually. Shoot both to get the feel of what you like best. For most shooters, I believe the Patriot VFT offers the best compromise
Old 03-14-2004, 09:32 AM

Bowtech is making some really awesome bows. I recently bought a Liberty and love it! Having said that, Ausie-guy is right. Go to the shop and shoot as many bows as they will let you. That is the only way to see which bow is best for you. One will stand out and then you will know which one to go with. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks walks with a Gimp that's some good info, How fast is your hunting set up on your Dually compoared to your Single cam Pat. ?

Also how accurate are your bows with broadheads? Do they shoot where your field points do? No matter what I do I could never get my broadheads to group with my field points with my Matt.Q2.

I shoot a MZE drop away, with High helical feathers and muzzy 100 grain heads. I even laser adjusted my rest so it's dead center. Sill shoots low right with broadheads so each year I have to reset everything before I go hunting. I was finally told by a shop that some bows won't shoot the same with broadheads no matter what you do. At first I didn't belive him but not I'm not so sure.
I hope that if I get a Bowtech I won't run into this Thanks Jim.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the Patriot VFT has the new pivoting limb pockets over the Extreme VFT.

When you test shoot them, make sure all the bows you shoot are pulling the same weight. Have them place them on the scale and set them at what # you want.

Reason being- give someone any bow at 60# and it should "draw smoother" (or at least feel as if it's doing so) than another bow at 70#'s.

Bowtech made a good choice when it sent it's bows out with string silencers and rubber dohickies hanging off it.
When I was comparing the patriot to another bow without the dohickies, it made the non rubber ladden bow vibrate and buzz a lot more. I was wondering how much of the buzz on the other bow would go away with some simms treatment, but didn't have to wonder with the bowtech. That smart move alone should account for a large some of the "after test drive" sell.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was looking at new bows, I shot a lot of different bows. I shot the Bowtech Extreme VFT, Patriot SC, Mathews Outback, Mathews LX, Hoyt Razortec, Hoyt Supertec, Hoyt XTec, and Hoyt Ultratec. Honestly after shooting all of these bows several times, for me it came down to the Hoyt or the Bowtech. After shooting the Mathews bows, for me they dropped off the list pretty quickly. If Mathews had come down to one of my final choices, I would have gotten the Outback over the LX. I was suprised at the differendce between those bows. The LX had some jump to it after the shot and the Outback didn't.

The reason the Mathews bows dropped off so quickly for me was honestly it came down to a speed thing for me. The final two selections ca,e down to the Patriot and the Supertec. I chose the Patriot for several reasons. Brace height 6" on Hoyt, 7" on Patriot. A to A 35" on Hoyt, 33" on Patroit I wanted a short bow for hunting. Finally the cams on the Hoyt, non adjustable and 55 or 65% letoff only, Patriot adjustable draw length and letoff, plus only requires a module change to totally change draw length over a 4-5" range. Sounds like your looking for a speed bow and I can promise you Bowtech delivers that. The single cam also has a rock solid wall.

By the way my bow shoots a 410 grain ACC 3-60 at 299 fps. I'm playing around with another arrow that weights in at 390 grains, that has cresting wraps and a lighted nock with 4" feathers shooting 308 fps. I'm thinking that may be my final hunting setup. I can't speak for the dually bows as I have only shot a Black Knight that was over 2" too short in the draw length so I really couldn't form an opinion on it.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:35 PM

Jimbo - you stated that you could't get your broad heads to group with the field points. Make sure you spin test each arrow with a broadhead - if they spin true they should group very closely with field points to 35 yds- that's what I do with my FX, and have great results. Out of 18 arrows - only 6 spin true. Those that spin true hit identicle to my field points. By the way - I'm interested in the Mighty Might myself - fast and sweet!

Quick Reply: Bowtech or not??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.