Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders! >

Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders!

Old 02-26-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders!

Hi guys!

I'm a little stunned by how many public land opportunities there seem to be in MD and how fragmented the application/permit process looks. I've got three basic questions when/if you've got the time:

1. How does the whole public land process work? (I THINK you contact the various regional DNR offices about opportunities in their districts? )

2. Without giving away trade secrets, what public lands in the Balt/DC corridor would you hunt if you were brand new? Prettyboy and Liberty are the names I hear most, but it sounds like they can get pretty CROWDED! [:'(] Any thoughts for Prince George's, Charles, Montgomery counties?

3. Other than knocking on doors, what are strategies for gaining access to private land? I thought I saw one of you mention that some landowners arrange with DNR to open up their properties to hunters on a daily or weekly basis. Am I right? How does one find out about that? Lastly, how do damage permits work? Are they issued to the hunter or the landowner?

Phew! As always, thanks for your patience!

Best,
Jeff
Old 02-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders!

Public land in Maryland takes a couple different forms. You mentioned Liberty and Prettyboy Watersheds. They're bow only which is good. There are good numbers of deer running around in there. A great deal of both properties border farms which feed the critters. TOns of acorns etc everywhere. Yes there are pockets that really get crowded, but there are opporotunities to find hidden little corners off the beaten path where every deer heads when the pressure gets to be too much. There are other such properties scattered throughout Maryland. Each has it's own system, season pass, day pass unreserved, day pass reserved etc. Some limit the number of hunters per day etc.

There are also other Wildlife Management areas where land has been set aside for wildlife such as Hugg Thomas on the Howard/Carroll County line. It's 365 acres, allows 6 hunters at a time. Permits obtained 8 days ahead of time via visit to the Gwynnbrook office or through the phone in system. First come first serve. There are several of these areas throughout the state run by various offices. You really have to get the Hunting manual to find all the whyfores and where nots.

You mentioned the Cooperative Wildlife Management areas where a farmer allows the DNR folks to regulate access to and from his land. I've never hunted one of these places but had a friend who did years ago. These places are usually reserved permit(ahead of time). The Coop managed properties are usually limited access. By that I mean they may only allow hunters on M, W, S or T, TH, Sat or something like that. Controls pressure but it makes it tough to get used to a spot and know what's going on unless you're lucky to get a pass all the time.

Then there are various State, County, and National Parks in Maryland that allow some form of hunting. You really have to get the book to learn all the pecular rules for each. They vary. For example, the Patapsco Park that runs from nearly the Pa line to Wash DC has opened sections for hunting, but you pay a traspass fee of $50 or something for the year, must shoot a doe or two first(don't know exactly) and you can reserve two dates ahead of time. By that I mean you can have passes for two different days at a time in your possession. When you use one you can get another.

I used to hunt Hugg Thomas a lot. I had a couple hidden away spots where I always got a buck or two. When I stopped hunting it I revealed my spot to one of the DNR people. He now gets a deer or two or three there every year. My point being, if you dig around in any of these places you'll have plenty of opportunities.
PRIVATE LAND???? You beg, cry, pound your head on the ground, .... whatever it takes. I've just become a male hooker.[8D] Anyway, the best way is through someone who knows someone who once knew someone in the know... if you know what I mean.[8D]
Old 02-26-2004, 06:13 AM

Dave pretty much covered it and did it well.

I will ad that I prefer the 'bow only' public grounds over those that allowed guns. There are TOO many incidents that are scary where guns are allowed. It's not just Maryland, it's typical. Yes, to all you gun hunters, I've seen some scary situations where bows only are used; but, it's usually more dangerous to those using the weapon than others.

Like Dave, I found some great spots on public hunting grounds. You just have to put some time in and search hard and deep into areas where most hunters won't go. I had to walk about a mile and a half and up and down some very steep hills to get to the back of one public property. It was tough, but that's where the deer were.

As far as private land, I've commented about that before. Just yesterday a customer was in the shop saying that he lost his private property and was looking for more. I know this guy and his hunting buddies as 'trophy hunters'. I told him like I'll tell everyone, tell the landowners that you'll take a lot of does and follow through. Many landowners who have tried to work with some hunters in the past have gotten fed up with many taking their trophy buck and then leaving the large herd behind to eat all their shrubs or crops.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

One place to check out is the BARC (Beltsville Agricultural Research Center) in Greenbelt just off the BW Pkwy in PG county. You have to take a weapon of choice proficiency test and have to take one doe first. It's a call ahead program but you can walk in and hunt an area that no one is in that day. Another place I hunt is in Charles County on the Patuxant River in Benidict. Some mighty big deer in here and you sign in before hunting. I take a boat arount to the backside of the property cause that's where all the deer head when the hunters start coming in. Last year a big 10 came running off the ridge and jumped into the cat tails and swam across to the other side. The next day while we were boating out we saw the 10 and another looked like an 8 swimming back across to the side we hunt. This place is like the mountains of Western Md, it is very steep. The phone number for the place in Greenbelt is 301-504-6009. The phone isn't always manned as they might be out doing something. This place is actually part of BARC (Beltsville Agricultural Research Center) They usually do the weapons testing in June or July and set aside days that you can scout after that.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

There are other ways but I won't add them just to say think outside the box. The reason I don't add them is that they would become less effective for myself, but you don't need a lot of property to hunt nice deer. Make connections. As you meet people, you can always bring up the topic of the out of control deer population. You would be surprised how many home owners are fed up with the deer and wish you would kill them all. Furtheremore, network with other hunters.

This is by far the best way I have gained access to choice property. Who knows as time goes on you will be able to return the favor with property that you have gained access to. Just this pass year I gained access to top choice property. My friend, who has nine monsters hanging on the wall with more in storage, said it was the best place he has ever hunted.

When I get motivated, I plan on breaking out my camera and will take some pictures of what to look for. Just here where I live are the tall tell signs.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:25 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts, fellas.

davidmil: sounds like getting the Hunting and Trapping guide is key. I got ahold of a copy of last year's (2003-04) and I guess the new one will be out in July? Looks like I basically need to sit down and call every number in there related to the counties I'm interested in.
I don't see anything on the CWM in there though, any thoughts on how I find out about that? Call the regional DNR offices I guess...

Len: in your opinion, is it best to stay out of the woods when bow and firearm seasons are in simultaneously and both are allowed on the property?
I hear you on population control as an entre to private land. I've got NO problem hunting does!

mdbowhntr: thanks much for the specific lead. If the BARC is on ADC map 8 (PG Co.) as the "National Agricultural Research Center," then it's a stone's throw from me.

Fieldmouse: I hear you echoing Len's advice to work the population angle. Makes good sense to me. Best of luck with the new honey hole. I'd love to see some pictures of sign when/if you get the time.

Thanks again, everybody,
Jeff
Old 02-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the BARC is on ADC map 8 (PG Co.) as the "National Agricultural Research Center," then it's a stone's throw from me.
That is it. I see your in Cheverly, Md. I was born in PG Hospital there in Cheverly as were all of my 5 kids. My grandmom lived there and I was raised in Landover Hills just on the other side of 202.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey justgot back in town and have found another place to go after to hunt (as if I need another spot). The home owner hand 20 deer in thier front yard. Don't know that I will get access to that piece but there are 4 other houses to hunt from. Lots of opportunity.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 PM

mdbohuntr : I'll be sure to check out the BARC; thanks again!

We live within sight of the PG hospital. In fact one of my two year-old's favorite things to do is watch the Park Police and State Trooper medvac choppers land and take off from its roof!

fieldmouse: Sorta sounds like you're inviting me along to help with that "opportunity"...

Just kiddin'!

All the best,
Jeff
Old 03-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey, I don't get up here as much but the deer and one fishing spot makes me miss this area a lot. We will see. I still plan on posting a few pictures of what to look for. I was on a call for work and a co-worker just mention that her dad now lets someone hunt his backyard. It's easier then you think. You only have to bring up the dam deer problem.

Quick Reply: Q for Len, davidmil, and other Marylanders!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.