Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting elk

Old 02-25-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Bowhunting elk

Im going to be going out west to go elk hunting in 2005. when i started telling people this they said to use aluminium arrows instead of carbon which i use now. could anyone tell me what arrow is better? thanks
Old 02-25-2004, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting elk

i'm not too knowlegeable about the subject but i used a carbon arrow on my elk this year and it worked out great.......
Old 02-25-2004, 07:45 PM

I've only taken two Elk, one Bull last season and a cow several years ago.
Both were taken with the bow. The cow with aluminum arrows and the Bull with carbon.

I don't think the type of shaft makes any difference. It is the weight of the shaft and the proper poundage of the bow along with the best and sharpest broadheads you can use.

Thsi Bull was taken with carbon arrows, Thunderhead 125 heads shot from a 65# bow.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use the carbon arrows that you are useing now. Assuming they are not those super light speed carbons. If they weigh above 400 grains there is no reason to change. If they are lighter than 400 grains then I would shoot a heavier carbon.

With all things being equal (speed, weight, broadhead, spine) the carbon will penetrate better than the aluminum.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:11 PM

Hunt with the arrow you are comfortable with. Make a good relaxed shot and you will be rewarded.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with bigbulls use a heavier shaft for elk .I use a 350 gr arrow for deer but I use heavier for moose but I use a 450gr for the moose it slows down considerably but it has good KE at the end of the shot.

nubo
Old 02-25-2004, 11:55 PM

in idaho you can't use an arrow that weighs less than 400 grains, and I think that unless they changed it you can't have more than 65% letoff either. The letoff thing might have changed though. I tend to try to use a heavier arrow for elk. I am shooting a 450 grain arrow right now, and it's carbon.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

sigh

If your carbons fly better, penetrate better and shoot better than aluminums on deer, why the heck wouldn't they on elk ? Whoever told that that aint thinking and is a bit mixed up.

I shoot carbons, love 'em and IMO that outpenetrate aluminums with everything being equal. Thats an advantage to me, and it don't matter if I'm shooting a rabbit or an elephant.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Easton XX-78 Super Slam 2219 aluminium arrows and Muzzy 125-grain broadheads.
I prefer the heavier arrow & broadhead for elk. I have killed 4-elk with my bow and several with a rifle. A good rule of thumb for elk is to go "heavy for caliber". This works well for rifle & archery hunters.
There are several archery elk hunters on this board that will help point you in the right direction. IMHO elknut will give you the best advise.

There is a bunch more information you will need before your hunt. Look at all of your gear, boots, socks, pack, knife, saw, clothing. Also pick up two cow calls & a bugle, then take the time and learn how to use them.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken my share of elk here in Idaho, I would be more concerned about the broadhead than I would the arrow. I have taken them with aluminum and also carbon. Both were tipped with a cut on impact style broadhead. With each I was pushing over 70 lbs. of KE. I don't think that there is a bull alive that could stop that combination. With elk, penetration is the name of the game. The farthest recovery I had was 75 yards. Most have fallen within 30-60 yards. Good luck on your hunt, nothing beats an elk in the rut bugling down your backside.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.