Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When did a 140" 8pt become a management buck??? >

When did a 140" 8pt become a management buck???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When did a 140" 8pt become a management buck???

If you have the amount of acreage where you feel you can pass on 140 class animals, wait until they grow up, and instead spend the majority of your hunting season pursuing true mature bucks, say 5.5 and 6.5 year old bucks you know are available in your area...if you are good enough.....why not wait?

On some property in the country a 2.5 year old 8-point is the true trophy for the neighborhood, and even more rare than some areas that hold several 3.5 year old 120-130 class animals. In some areas it is harder to come by a 2.5 year old 8-point, scoring 90-100, than it is to find a 4.5 year old on another property scoring 140-160....so who is actually "holding out".

Basically it's all relative, but if you own property, even small parcels, and practice intensive habitat management activities, it is truly possible to raise the bar of expectation anywhere a whitetail lives.

Hey, if a hunter can hold out for something bigger, and he or she is lucky enough to have larger bucks around....more power to them! I just wish I owned their property
Old 02-24-2004, 11:16 AM

NorthJeff and others, you are missing my point. I'm not knocking guys that pass bucks, I pass dozens every year. My problem is with these TV "pro" hunter pukes that kill a 140 class 8pt and then pass it off as "management" buck and aren't even excited about the kill. I don't give a sh!t where you live, a 140 class 8pt in a big buck, call it like it is, you didn't see that 170, but you took a hell of nice 140 class 8pt instead. Thats fine by me, but all this BS about "settling" for a 140 class deer is bs IMO.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

Show me a 140 class 8 pointer and I'll manage him....Manage to put my broadhead through his chest cavity!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 AM

If you were managing a parcel of ground and you were trying to manage the buck to doe ratio, would you kill a 10 pt that scored 130 but had the potential to be a 170 or would you kill the 130 8 pt that had pretty much reached his potential.
To answer your question, I would kill the first one that screwed up, and I would proud of my decision
Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 AM

This stuff burn's me up!!! and I place all the blame directly on the High fence people in my great state of Texas, they buy 1.5 year old deer that are sporting 130" racks and call them breeders. Are they pay ungodly amount of money for sperm in a test tube and pay $5000.00 for a breeder doe.Pretty soon we are going to see Cloned deer and if you have the money you'll sit down at a coffee table and pick out the buck you want from a family picture album, they will then load you up in truck and put you on that deer all guarenteed. When money is involved the human race will do anything to get more. I could say more but I won't
Old 02-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you crossed the Texas state line , If they have a pencil tined buck or and 8 point that is 3 or more years old and its 140 inches or less , some rances consider it a management buck . Here in Florida most "trophy bucks" will get to about 120 inches , biger than that is very rare down here .
Old 02-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are in an area where you see 30-40 six pointers a day (as stated in an earlier post) then, no you probably won't see goliath. The main reason why you won't is that those 6pts. are only 1 1/2 years old. Let em grow one more year and they will probably be 15" 8's and 10's.
The only thing that I'm saying is that if you want bigger bucks, well, there is a simple way to get them. Self restraint. It starts with you. Don't start with the "well the guy across my fence will shoot it if I don't" How do you know? Maybe that one buck will make it through the year. Maybe not. But it most definately will not make it another day if you shoot it .
If you like to eat meat, good, so do I. Nothing like a doe to fill the freezer. If you want to shoot a little buck. Go ahead, don't complain about some one else not being satisfied with a similar buck. I've shot my share of little ones. Shooting another would not be much fun for me. If you are in an area where you have no other choice...take your shot if you get it.
If you don't like watching big bucks get shot as management bucks. Don't watch. I turn off the TV anytime I see hunting in Texas from a tower stand shooting down a Sendero. I don't enjoy it, so I don't watch. I do enjoy watching a bow hunt from an ordinary midwest farm that due to self restraint by the people that hunt the land they have produced some very quality bucks.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 PM

These are my three management bucks for this year.( I managed to get within shooting range and I managed 3 good shots.)
I wonder why those huntin shows never comes to Florida?[&:]
Old 02-24-2004, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Handles

Let em grow one more year and they will probably be 15" 8's and 10's.
The only thing that I'm saying is that if you want bigger bucks, well, there is a simple way to get them. Self restraint. It starts with you. Don't start with the "well the guy across my fence will shoot it if I don't" How do you know?
Because many of us have been hunting the same woods for many years and see the same type deer taken every year. What you are suggesting is to pass on deer and let other people shoot them in hopes that one will slip through the cracks and you will see him next year??.........First of all making it through one year is hard enough for these bucks, but if you think that one will survive to be 5 1/2 to 6 1/2??? LOL Good luck. You also are mentioning "the guy across the fence".........try the 50 guys putting on constant drives for 3 weeks.........and the other 50 posted up ready to shoot. Deer still manage to slip through even those gauntlets.......my brother killed a big 8 pointer there and I killed a 13 pointer last year in different woods though.

We accept it for what it is..........taking a deer is good........taking a buck is a nice bonus.........and getting a shot at a bruiser is very rare. We really don't care that much.............not saying we don't appreciate a good buck, we just don't get upset if we don't see one.

We have other places that we go and the chance of a big deer is better and we enjoy that as well.

We just enjoy hunting together..........I treasure those memories much more then any of the horns on my walls. The meat is much more precious to me and my family then head gear.

They all look the same on the grill.

Don't get me wrong..........I love seeing big bucks.......I am just not obsessed with it.

Maybe that one buck will make it through the year. Maybe not. But it most definately will not make it another day if you shoot it .
If you like to eat meat, good, so do I. Nothing like a doe to fill the freezer. If you want to shoot a little buck. Go ahead, don't complain about some one else not being satisfied with a similar buck. I've shot my share of little ones. Shooting another would not be much fun for me. If you are in an area where you have no other choice...take your shot if you get it.
If you don't like watching big bucks get shot as management bucks. Don't watch. I turn off the TV anytime I see hunting in Texas from a tower stand shooting down a Sendero. I don't enjoy it, so I don't watch. I do enjoy watching a bow hunt from an ordinary midwest farm that due to self restraint by the people that hunt the land they have produced some very quality bucks.
[/quote]
Old 02-24-2004, 01:15 PM

Handles

You hit it right on, but i do like to hunt in texas, this is the new generation of hunting, every track of land around me trophy hunts only, my good friend killed a 145 7/8 inch eight point was fairly happy as he sawed the horns off, different strokes for diff. folks, i say you should be happy no matter what you kill but the tv shows do ruin it for alot of folks.

Quick Reply: When did a 140" 8pt become a management buck???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.