Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hog hunter's ....will my set up do it ? >

Hog hunter's ....will my set up do it ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hog hunter's ....will my set up do it ?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Hog hunter's ....will my set up do it ?

Going to try to go on a hog hunt in the next few weeks !

Shooting a Mathews Outback on 75# w/ Axis 340 arrows and Spitfire 125 Pro-series broadheads (total arrow weight 450 grains) ! Getting low-mid 280's with this set up and should be good for 80# of KE !! My bow is tuned well..........

I imagine this will work very well ..........but I haven't shot a hog with a bow yet either !! [8D]
Old 02-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hog hunter's ....will my set up do it ?

Your set up is just fine for hogs. I would however use a fixed blade head if you are going after the larger variety of hogs. If I were going on your hunt I would probably use a cut on contact head like a stinger to ensure maximum penetration.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Well you never know...but I was told they would mostly be in the 60-150# range !! I think the biggest they have ever killed was in the low 200's !!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bigbulls, I'd strongly recommend a fixed blade head. That gristle plate that is at the shoulder an extends back towrds the ribs is tough!

Have fun, hog huntin' is a blast.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I'd us a fixed. Your setup will kill a Dodge, but your broadhead choice is questionable on piggies. Check out the piggies organs. The lungs don't extend as far back as they do on a deer. You're almost better off aiming AT the shoulder. At least snug it up tight to the shoulder. A piggie on one lung will never be found.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

A piggie on one lung will never be found.
This is very true. My dad went pig hunting several years ago but with a gun, he scored a single lung shot but never found it after it got away.

As for your setup, that sounds good to me. Let us know how it turns out
Old 02-23-2004, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

the one hog i harvested was shot through the ham and came out of the lungs and she only ran 65 yards and the shot was intentional, i thought that is why we practiced angle shots, now i know it's a high risk shot and probably wont use it again...i think the key with hogs is too stay still after the shot and listen to where it goes....dont spook it by looking too soon after the shot... and i disagree with that gun and the lung thing , not working ...all the hogs i have killed went through the lungs, i found them all....slugs work better than 00 buck....but they have all worked for me...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with a muzzy or a thunderhead broadhead. Shot placement is very crucial as you have to wait for the proper shot and try to quarter a shot up into the vitals to avoid the armour they build up around their shoulder blade. If you notice in hog country, hogs will rub their shoulders on tree to calius the area around their shoulder blades. On a nice size hog if you aim for the shoulder, you won't even penetrate it and your arrow left hanging and hog long gone. Bobby
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM

shoot what brung ya. i been shooting hogs with rocket steelheads and a 334 grain arrow and not having a bit of problems with getting the arrows thru the pigs. shoot what you know and are comfortable with and you have more than enough to take care fo any piggie out there.
rob k
Old 02-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]