Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Black panther sightings. >

Black panther sightings.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Black panther sightings.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:11 AM

Default RE: Black panther sightings.

I haven't seen any but some local folks have indicated that they have seen the black cat crossing roads.
The area is Crittenden County in western Kentucky.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:14 AM

at my leased land we have had 4 sightings of a blackpanther type animal!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Ive only seen one black panther in Oklahoma, and it was BIG!!!! You guys are definatly right when you say its a little creepy, especially when you have to walk to your stand early in the morning. Theres also some regular mountain lions around here. I had one come within bow range while i was coyote hunting and couldnt get turned around, plus my jaw dropped when i saw it and wouldnt of been able to shoot anyways.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Me neither, and I hope I don't either. I never want to mix with a bunch of Malcolm X-wannabes.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:58 PM

The article was saying, if you come across a half eaten animal, start looking up in the trees because a cat will climb a tree and rest after eating. It also said, if one comes toward you, don't run or play dead. They said to walk backwards slow and try to make yourself look bigger and make alot of noise. If you are attacked, they said to protect the back of your neck by putting your hands behind your neck and locking your fingers together. I did not know that a cat would go for the back of neck.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those stories have been floating around Crittenden County Ky(western ky) for several years now.Only abot 20 minutes from illinois.There was even stories run in the paper about them.

I have not seen any panthers,black or otherwise but I did find a half eaten deer carcuss by my deer camp that is right in the heart of where the stories surfaced.The carcuss was half eaten and then covered up with leaves.There are only two animals to my knowledge that will cover there food up for later and that is big cats and bears.We don't have bears but do have the same kind of stories about them surface from time to time.I don't know what did it and maybe a bobcat would cover food like this.I am sure a bobcat didn't kill it but maybe found it.It does make me wonder.

I also heard a loud scream that sounded like a big cat but I don't know what a panther sounds like so I can't say for sure.I know what a screatch owl sounds like and that isn't what this was.It was just as loud if not louder but definately a different sound.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:49 PM

I personally seen one run across the road on my way to work one day. The guys i work with seen one also. Now we keep a camera in the truck, but no luck since.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doeculler I jumped ahead and posted,looks like we have heard the same stories.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:11 PM

I found this article on the topic of black panthers interesting.

http://www.bigcats.org/abc/catspecies/blackpumas.html
Old 02-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The old time local boys say our origanal cougars were black down here , game and fish suposedly imported the tan one we rarely see . They are indangered down here , if they keep building houses down here the whole place is going to sink into the ocean , and to think 100 years ago there were only 500 pepole [besides indians] south of saint lucie river , talk about population explosion/habitat destruction .