Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there >

draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there

Old 02-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Default draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there

Just got a new boy and its set at 60 lbs. draw weight but i can kick it up to 70 lbs if i take it back to the pro shop. Just want to know how much people shoot and if you have any advice.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:58 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default RE: draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there

Bottom line is you have to find the draw weight that is comfortable for you. Currently, I shoot at 60 lbs. I used to shoot at about 66 or so, but now I take into account how much harder it can be to draw a bow back when it is cold, you've been in the stand for a few hours, and you are bundled up against the elements.

One bit of advice: don't crank up the bow just to shoot more weight. Again, it has to be comfortable to draw under all conditions, not just when at an indoor range wearing a teeshirt. Also, I believe each additional pound at that weight will give you an additional 2 feet per second, or something like that. So adding a lot of additional draw weight is going to add very little advantage. If you are hunting out West, and 50 yard shots may be common, then having a few extra pounds might matter. But if most of your shots are 30 yards and in, 60 lbs. on a modern compound is plenty.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot what is comfortable for me from all angles in a tree stand, normally it is set on 65 lbs. after i have been away from it for awhile, i normally set it down to about 60 and work my way back up to 65. not sure how your limb adjustments are set up, but normally one full turn of the allen wrench will adjust it about 4 lbs, just make sure you make the same adjustment top and bottem. hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:18 PM

i pull 70lbs but i am very comfortable with that. I started out in the 60's but i had no problems pullin that so i stepped it up a notch. I have found drawing a bow isn't so much a strength demanding thing but more a technique thing. A few of my buddies that are much stronger than me however they are unable to draw my bow. If you have good technique you are able to draw alot more. the previous statements are good advice only pull what u are comfortable at.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm no expert and i agree with all of what was said above - shoot what you are comfy with
I shoot about 62# and wouldn't go any higher - im a big strong guy and could pull back 70#, but why make it more of a "struggle" when you don't need it. jus my opinion
I see some shooters that have to strain and struggle (point bow to sky to get leverage, etc) to get back higher poundage - seem like a waste of effort
Old 02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot about 55-58
Old 02-08-2004, 03:35 PM

doughboy i have also seen people draw their bow with this big upswing for added power. I just like to have a chuckle at these characters becasue what happens when they try that move in a stand. A deer will spot or hear that like nothin and won't stick around for a shot. i guess another thing to remember FOR SOME individuals is that they can handle 70 pounds easily practicing but when a shot presents itself they are so excited they lose strength and can't draw. Hasn't happened personally but i have heard of it happening to others.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:22 AM

Im suggest start where you are then later you mite want to pump it up.
Just rember more lb on the draw does not make you a better archer pratice does.

I shoot 70lb with 65% let off.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot at 60#. I have shot up to 70#, and I agree technique plays a major role in shooting. People much stronger than myself are unable to draw most bows!
The main reason I lowered my bow is when I have to hold at full draw for a long time! 60# is much easier to hold than 70#, and kills 'em just as dead!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:29 AM

Quick Reply: draw weight ? for all you bowhunters out there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.